Algae Blenny with an Attitude?

Hedonist

Premium Member
Has anybody ever had an algae blenny that harrassed a tang.... I have not seen this before...

I did have one that was quite the piglet and consumed all the food he could as quickly as he could, but never chasing around and pestering other fish????

This is not my fish, but I suspect it may see the tang as competition for food... any other thoughts or suggestions?

Anybody???

While mine is well mannered, I have heard stories of them being very aggresive. A guy I know lost his $100 jawfish to a terrorizing lawnmower blenny.

I have a Blue Hippo that started getting these crescent shaped white marks on the sides of his body. At first I thought it was a fungus or some disease. The marks kept spreading and I would see him out less and less.

Then one day, I was feeding the tank and finally realized that my lawnmower blenny was actually causing these marks by taking bites out of the tang. He was lightning fast when he did this. It got to the point where my tang was terrified to come out of hiding and when he did, the LMB would viciously attack him.

By the time a finally caught the LMB, the tang was cover with bite marks on both of his sides and had bites on his dorsal fin. It's been two months since I removed the LMB and the tang has made a complete recovery with the exception of his dorsal fin.

Gothca, the hippo in the same tank also has a mark on his body...

Out damn Blenny ;)

Thanks!!!

Blennys are pretty much mild mannered except for other bottom dwelling species that it may deem a threat to its territory.. Ie' mine fought with my 5" pinkspot watchman for 1 month straight till they squared off there territory... He has also squared off with my mating pair of dragon gobies which easily put the blenny in its place.... but once in a while if I add any smaller fish in the tank , he may go after it due to territorial bouts...

The redlip blennies are actually one of the more viscious of the blennies... I tried 2 before, had to trade them in right away... nip at other fish and myself..

My experience with the LMB is that most of them are aggressive to new fish. Some can be very agressive and kill fish much larger than themselves. As stated above bicolors are probably the worst. They can be mean.

CF

Back