Algae Scrubber Advanced

Whats the ideal width of the growth chamber of a waterfall ATS driven by LEDs? 2 inch, 3 inch?

If you make the walls white, it won't matter because all the light will reflect to the screen.

If the walls are black, then you want wide enough to catch all the light.

Whats the ideal width of the growth chamber of a waterfall ATS driven by LEDs? 2 inch, 3 inch?

Pretty sure you were asking the distance on either side of the screen, right? Meaning, perpendicular distance to the enclosure?

From one side to the other, 2 to 2.5" seems to work the best. 3" might be OK but the 3D growth fills in faster with a narrower chamber.

Pretty sure you were asking the distance on either side of the screen, right? Meaning, perpendicular distance to the enclosure?

From one side to the other, 2 to 2.5" seems to work the best. 3" might be OK but the 3D growth fills in faster with a narrower chamber.

Thanks!

I'm looking for someone to review my scrubber and see what I should do differently. I have a 4x6 inch screen. Water flows over the screen. I don't know the gph but I adjust it so the water covers the screen. I feed approximately a cube a day. My lighting is supplied by 8 660nm reed 3w leds and 2 rb leds. It's 4 red and 1 blue on either side. The driver is set to 700ma and is on a dinner but the dimmer is just about maxed out.

My scrubber lights come on at 8pm and turn off at 10am. I clean my screen once a week fairly aggressively.

My issue is I am getting hair algae in my tank yet my po4 is always at 0. Even after tank cleaning. The rocks are used and could be leaching but the tank has been up and running for over a year.

I am also Having an issue with mag being used up. Calc, alk, and pH are all stable right where I want them.

Should I alter my light schedule, cleaning schedule.

After 5 days
93520e30ebd506bf0718a03329abacfb.jpg

After cleaning
e88ccbe01d9bf1ce11c14eaf2855824a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Salinity is at 1.024. I had high mag, higher Calc, lower kh and lower ph at 1.026.

My issue is I am getting hair algae in my tank yet my po4 is always at 0

Are you physically removing hair algae from your tank? The hair algae will keep you from getting any phosphate readings because it uses the phosphate to grow. Your scrubber has pretty good growth though, I'm jealous.

I remove the algae in the tank. I'm wondering if changing the scrubber to a 24 hour light cycle with breaks would help it out compete with the tank.

Hi biglurr54

your screen is large enough, but if the other variables are not correct, size doesn't matter. LOL

Is the flow high enough over the screen?

Is the light intensity high enough?

If the scrubber is anything but too small, & tuned correctly, you shouldn't get hair algae growing in the display.

The flow is tough to judge. I have about 600 to 700 gallons flowing down the overflow. It's then split between a filter sock and the scrubber. The filter sock it throttled by a valve and the scrubber is wide open. The lights are, like I said before 4 3w red leds and 1 3w blue led per side running at 700ma. If anything I think the light is overkill but you guys are the experts.

The overflow should be flowing around 650 gph and I only need 210 for the scrubber. 35 x 6 inch screen length.

The lights are, like I said before 4 3w red leds and 1 3w blue led per side running at 700ma. If anything I think the light is overkill but you guys are the experts.

I run two screens the same size as yours. I run 6, 660nm on each side of each screen at 700mA. I don't bother with another color because the growth I get couldn't be any better and its all emerald green hair algae.

PS. I'm no expert, just a hobbiest.

I usually push my photoperiod, flow and screen size to the most I have room for. When my algae gets pale or yellow, I start to trim back until I find the balance point.

You must have a lot of rock supplying a lot of nutrients to that small screen. You'll need more light, yes you can do 24 hours for now. Add another screen if you can.

I have very minimal rock. And it's been in the tank for over a year and the issue just started. I will increase the flow and add two more red leds. My growth is dark and slimy. Not emerald green and stringy.

That first pic does not appear to be slimy - that's dense GHA, when you scrape it off, it might get gooey and such, but I wouldn't call the slime growth.

First, max the intensity

Second, max the photoperiod

Third, don't clean every 7 days necessarily. That's not a rule.

Fourth, when you do clean, don't do it aggressively. In fact, clean like this:

029_zpsc0c94b3e.jpg

028_zps4dfa3161.jpg

Tic-Tac-Toe on one side, cross-cross on the other. You can do this every 7 days if you like. It's more of thinning out than cleaning.

Growth sometimes comes in stages, you might be in one, The dense growth tends to shade the screen and lead to algae completely letting go, the above cleaning helps mitigate that

How old is the scrubber?

How close are the LEDs?

Pics?

When you say max the photo period, what is the max photo period. The leds are 2.5 inches from the screen.
2406af05adad5f628f1eb27a71833030.jpg

Back