Amazon Fire to monitor Apex

CafeReef

Neptune just put out a really good video for using a $40 Amazon Fire tablet as a wall mounted station for monitoring and controlling your apex. Just thought I would share the video here. I have had this in the plans for awhile now, just need to get down in the shop and make myself a frame.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pCX_hilgNH4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I plan to order one as well, Going to try and flush mount it on my wall somewhere, just need to run power so it's all clean.

I like the mount they showed at the end of the video, the rotating type, which you screw the base into the board where you have the modules fixed to, and have mobility to look at the screen from different angles. The velcro is flush and nice, but pulling and placing it back constantly will end up making it look crappy long term.

This is great! I have 2 older Kindle Fire units that I don't use anymore. I've plugged them in so I can try to set this up tomorrow morning.
Thanks for sharing.....

7" is on sale till Saturday for $39.99 ... guess it's a good time to grab one.

I got the black one... figured it would blend in more. Mine was just over $42 with tax.

-Porkchop

Has anybody found a flush wall mount for one of these 7" Fire tables? I spent some time looking last night without any success. I will do more digging today but figured I would ask.

This is a cool idea. But you could also just use a smart phone (i.e., not your current phone) and it'll be "free." Actually, I just gave myself a great idea!! :0)

here is a very simple wall mount .stl file for a 3d printer. fire just slides down into it.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1543539

I thought about the 3D printing idea but that gets costly and the finish isn't really furniture grade. That other one isn't what I am after. I want it flush mounted. I won't be removing it often if even ever.

This is how my display is flush mounted now and the tablet would be going in its place that. Worse case I will make something out of white or black acrylic.
image_zps6kfcmz2d.jpeg

image_zpsjutx4jpl.jpeg

You can see the ipad on the wall here. I use this for home automation as well as home theater control among other things. This is ultimately how I would be looking to mount the fire.
image_zpsacstku3g.jpeg

I thought about the 3D printing idea but that gets costly and the finish isn't really furniture grade. That other one isn't what I am after. I want it flush mounted. I won't be removing it often if even ever.

This is how my display is flush mounted now and the tablet would be going in its place that. Worse case I will make something out of white or black acrylic.

You can see the ipad on the wall here. I use this for home automation as well as home theater control among other things. This is ultimately how I would be looking to mount the fire.

My printer isn't large enough to do a mount like that in one part, but I potentially could do it in two parts and have them latch together, I might have to give it a try.

From a finish perspective, I acetone vapor dip everything I print that I want to have a finished look. It's not to bad actually.

(not my picture, but same outcome)
JWE_0435.jpg

My printer isn't large enough to do a mount like that in one part, but I potentially could do it in two parts and have them latch together, I might have to give it a try.

From a finish perspective, I acetone vapor dip everything I print that I want to have a finished look. It's not to bad actually.

(not my picture, but same outcome)
JWE_0435.jpg

Great info there! Never thought about acetone dipping. Any suggestions on that?

Edit. I just watched some videos the dip method and cold vapor method. Wow!

Last edited:
Great info there! Never thought about acetone dipping. Any suggestions on that?

Edit. I just watched some videos the dip method and cold vapor method. Wow!

I do the cold dip method, havnt been willing to boil acetone yet haha.

I use metal paint cans from lowes, I then take a paper towel and I form it to the inside of the can and use magnets to hold it to the sides and the bottom of the can. Then I pour a little acetone inside the can and roll it until all paper towels are covered.

Lastly on the lid, I take some magnets to elevate my piece I am smoothing out, then I set the lid on counter, put my 3d piece on the lid (on the magnets so it is lifted from the lid surface), and place the can over the top.

Since it is "cold" I usually let my stuff sit for an hour or a little more, until I have the finish I like.

Figured I would post this as I just got a Fire tablet. Installing Dolphin wasn't as simple as it looked in the video. In my case, I was prompted to download it from the app store. I did that but Dolphin didn't appear in my apps. I then went to settings and allowed "Apps From Unknown Sources". This is located in Settings/Security. Perhaps if I had done that first, the app would have installed despite me going thought the app store process.

I then downloaded ES File Viewer and still didn't see the app installer. Then I went back to dolphin.com/download. At the bottom of that screen, there is a icon for download from Google Play store. Just below that in small writing is a link to download if you don't have google play. I clicked that link and download the file. Then opened up ES File Viewer, found the Dolphin file and installed it.

As such, if I were to do it again, I would do the following.

First enable "Apps From Unknown Sources" in Settings/Security. Then go to dolphin.com/download and click the link below the Google Play store next to: "Don't Have Google Play?".

Download the file. Go to app store, download ES File. Then open that app up and locate the dolphin file and install it.

Note: I may be complicating it a bit. When I downloaded the file, I was not prompted to install it. It could also be that the initial app would have installed properly had I had the "Apps From Unknown Sources" enabled. As such, enable that first and try downloading from the app store. If that doesn't install it on you tablet, then follow my directions above.

Thanks for the tip slief.

Mine arrives tomorrow so I'll be doing this, nice to have some guidance.

Also I'll be following along on the flush mount for this tablet also. If I find something I'll post it up.

-Porkchop

I ran into the same issue slief. Then tested the link and it worked right away. Only thing not mentioned was what you said about unauthorized apps, but was a simple fix.

Now to start designing my mount in sketchup.

I ran into the same issue slief. Then tested the link and it worked right away. Only thing not mentioned was what you said about unauthorized apps, but was a simple fix.

I've had some issues with Dolphin on mine. It seems that when I leave Fusion open, the Dolphin app crashes after a handful of minutes. It seems to refresh the page every minute or so until Dolphin closes. Silk doesn't do that and works fine but it appears as though there is no full screen option for Silk. I also noticed that my camera stream doesn't work in Fusion when viewed via Dolphin but works fine in Silk. I tried Chrome but that seems to have it's share of issues.

Are you going to make a flush wall mount?

I've had some issues with Dolphin on mine. It seems that when I leave Fusion open, the Dolphin app crashes after a handful of minutes. It seems to refresh the page every minute or so until Dolphin closes. Silk doesn't do that and works fine but it appears as though there is no full screen option for Silk. I also noticed that my camera stream doesn't work in Fusion when viewed via Dolphin but works fine in Silk. I tried Chrome but that seems to have it's share of issues.

I think the crashing was being caused by the webcam stream through Fusion. While the stream doesn't seem to play in dolphin, I think the mjpeg stream was causing the browser to crash. I went into the browser settings and selected "No Image" and now the browser doesn't seem to refresh every minute and hasn't crashed in several minutes. On the other end of the spectrum, Silk works fine with the camera stream but doesn't have the full screen feature.

Back