Amazon Fire to monitor Apex

I've been playing with the 7" Fire tablet for the last few days and have run in to some issues with the Dolphin browser crashing but also figured out the fix. Not sure if anybody else has experienced the crashes with Fusion or not.

I have sleep mode disable via the Dev settings option in the Fire settings menu. I also have full screen enabled in Dolphin. I have a web cam connected to Fusion and found that Dolphin will not display the mjpeg stream. At least I haven't been able to get my Cisco cam to display in Fusion. The web cam seems to force the Dolphin browser to refresh the screen every minute or so. After about 5 minutes the browser crashes. Whether it's directly due to the web cam being embedded in the Fusion page I am not sure but I did figure out a solution to the crashe.

To remedy the crashes, in the settings screen of Dolphin, I've had to select "No Image" and also select "Desktop Mode". With those two settings, the Dolphin crashes subside. I've tried No Image with both desktop mode enabled and disabled and it still crashes. I've tried no Image in both Desktop Mode and Stanard mode and when not in Desktop mode, it will crash so based on my findings, No Image needs to be selected in addition to Desktop Mode.

Full Screen Mode is available in Silk!

Full Screen Mode is available in Silk!

I was just playing around with Silk and was able to enable full screen mode! I didn't see that option previously. Not sure if there was an update or if this is something we overlooked. In Silk, next to the address bar, tap the three vertical dots and there is an option to "Enter Full Screen".

The advantage for me to Silk is is shows my webcam where as Dolphin doesn't. I will leave Silk running and see if it crashes.

Thanks for the updates. Ive received my fire and and just waiting for the new apex to come in to fire it up. Will be following this thread to hook it up the best way.

Thanks for the updates. Ive received my fire and and just waiting for the new apex to come in to fire it up. Will be following this thread to hook it up the best way.

I think you will like it. I have a new Apex here. It arrived Friday. I'm setting up for a custom cylinder reef tank install that we are doing next weekend at a customers house. I figured I would get a head start and familiarize myself with it and get it programmed in advance to reduce onsite time. I like what I see so far. The base unit is smaller than I thought it would be which is good. The orange and gray colors aren't bad at all. The Logo on the front of the unit is illuminated and glows orange when connected to a hardwired LAN connection and blue when connected to Wifi. It's a nice touch IMO. Setup is very straight forward. In fact, the one I have here is probably one of the first to ship and didn't come with any instructions and I had no issues getting it online. Granted, I'm very familiar with the Apex so it was pretty much second nature to me. The native dashboard has changed from that of the Classic Apex. It resembles Fusion where as the Classic has a unique dashboard all it's own when you log in via IP. Firmware updates are now a breeze. No more downloading firmware files. With the native web interface, when you go to network settings, it will display the current firmware version and the version of any available updates. If there is an update available, you simply select Update Now and it does the update automatically. I guess the new app will alert you to available updates and allow updates with the touch of the screen. The new app should become available in the App Store any day from what I understand. There is also a major update to Fusion coming. It's supposed to launch this weekend though I have yet to see that update but expect that anytime. I'm quite curious what that will look like or what new features will be there.

Anyhow, overall, the changes they made to the new Apex should be welcomed by new users and veteran Apex users alike. Obviously some people are resistant to change and you just can't please everybody but on the whole, I think most will be very pleased.

For those interested, here is the 7" Amazon Fire Tablet using the Amazon Silk browser in full screen mode with Fusion and my webcam displayed. It seems to work great. As such, this may render the need for Dolphin pointless.

image_zpsjskloov2.jpeg

Thanks for the updates, Slief. I tried to install Dolphin onto my older Fire HD and ran onto the same problem. So I attributed it to using the older Fire. I'll try to use Silk later today.

Tapping the serial number 7 times on my Fire HD did nothing. So I have not been able to diasble the sleep function. Any tips on getting that done? Will I need to purchase the newer Kindle Fire to accomplish that?

Thanks for the updates, Slief. I tried to install Dolphin onto my older Fire HD and ran onto the same problem. So I attributed it to using the older Fire. I'll try to use Silk later today.

Tapping the serial number 7 times on my Fire HD did nothing. So I have not been able to diasble the sleep function. Any tips on getting that done? Will I need to purchase the newer Kindle Fire to accomplish that?

I can't help with the Kindle. I am new to the Fire tablets and am learning as I go along. I would suggest searching online. I bought the current one from Amazon so that is all I am familiar with and even at that, I am far from familiar with this tablet..

The Fire is $33 today if you have Prime as part of the Amazon Prime Day deals. Just got one to see if it'll work like this.

I just got one for use as my display.

First annoyance:
The native Silk browser no longer has a full screen mode on some Kindle models. The newest 7" Fire included.

Solution:
Download Opera Browser from the Amazon AppStore. When you scroll down the address bar vanishes.

Second annoyance:
There is no setting in the device display settings that allows you to prevent the screen from sleeping indefinitely.

Solution:
Go to settings -> device options and tap on the serial number rapidly until you see a popup at the bottom of the screen that tells you to keep tapping to enable developer options. Once you unlock them just turn on "stay awake". As long as you keep it plugged in it will never sleep.

You should also go to settings -> power and turn off "automatic smart suspend" to prevent the wireless chip from being powered down when you're not actively using the device.

hate this fire thing ,some times the screen goes not responding.

when using the dolphin , when you pull the web page , the full screen mode goes off

I just got one for use as my display.

First annoyance:
The native Silk browser no longer has a full screen mode on some Kindle models. The newest 7" Fire included.

Solution:
Download Opera Browser from the Amazon AppStore. When you scroll down the address bar vanishes.

Second annoyance:
There is no setting in the device display settings that allows you to prevent the screen from sleeping indefinitely.

Solution:
Go to settings -> device options and tap on the serial number rapidly until you see a popup at the bottom of the screen that tells you to keep tapping to enable developer options. Once you unlock them just turn on "stay awake". As long as you keep it plugged in it will never sleep.

You should also go to settings -> power and turn off "automatic smart suspend" to prevent the wireless chip from being powered down when you're not actively using the device.

On mine, I click the three vertical dots in the upper right and select Enter Full Screen. It hides the URL bar.

+1
Silk on my new Fire 7" tablet goes full screen no problem. Click the 3 dots on the upper right and select full screen.

Amazon Fire to monitor Apex

There's no full screen option on mine. You have the older firmware. I've researched this extensively. It is actually a major annoyance for kindle users because they removed this feature recently. There are a large number of very angry people on the kindle forums.

the kindle sometimes get slow till non responsive until i press on the power on and off a few times before it can work properly . i am using the dolphin browser

Dolphin doesn't let me use my webcam (I wonder why), and silk doesnt let me go fullscreen, but thank you guys for the tips on stay awake and no sleep!

For the time being I am just running silk and it is nice and stable and shows the webcam.

Silk supports full screen, it is just a pain to use.

When you have Fusion up, slightly scroll up so the URL bar disappears. It will snap into fullscreen mode. It isn't like it used to be where you could select 'full screen' and it stuck to full screen but it's better than seeing the URL bar. For me all I typically access is the feed buttons which I have at the top so this works.

I finally got mine mounted up. Silk does just fine in full screen. As mentioned above, there is no need for Dolphin. When you open up Fusion in silk, touch the 3 dots on the right side of the address bar and select fulls screen mode. It will then go to full screen. I do suggest arranging the Fusion page so you have all your important info and buttons accessible within the viewing window.

IMG_2940_zpslfkyqo5w.jpg

IMG_2939_zpsgdl9ugot.jpg

I'm giving up on this. On my third fire. Just doesn't seem to like being on permanently. Screens went on both of mine.

I finally got mine mounted up. Silk does just fine in full screen. As mentioned above, there is no need for Dolphin. When you open up Fusion in silk, touch the 3 dots on the right side of the address bar and select fulls screen mode. It will then go to full screen. I do suggest arranging the Fusion page so you have all your important info and buttons accessible within the viewing window.

IMG_2940_zpslfkyqo5w.jpg

IMG_2939_zpsgdl9ugot.jpg

Just got a new Fire and silk doesn't go full screen mode any longer.

So those with new firmware, are u guys using dolphon again?

Im debating if i should buy this

Back