Amino acids .vs RottiFeast & OysterFeast

xenon

Owner of Canada Corals
What would you guys use to get some coloration back in bleached corals?

I am currently dosing the recommended amounts of the reef nutrition RottiFeast and OysterFeast daily and its working great but I am getting loads of film on the glass so it may be too rich.

I am able to control dissolved organics with my ozone generator so I am not afraid of feeding.

Should I switch to amino acids completely or do a mix of the two?

Where's the "just be patient" option? ;) Are these actually bleached corals, or just some that lightened in color? What was the cause?

Where's the "just be patient" option? ;) Are these actually bleached corals, or just some that lightened in color? What was the cause?

We are a store and we recently got a shipment of 90 acro colonies that were too long in transit and they arrived pretty bleached.

We have no detectable NO3/PO4 and I am trying hard to get my test kits (Salifert Nitrate/Hanna Phosphorus ULR) to register something by feeding heavy but I guess its just not enough.

I am afraid that amino acids are too clean and that I should continue what I am doing by feeding Reef Nutrition foods.

Any feedback is really appreciated.

I think the people that see color benefits from amino acids are running nitrogen deficient tanks and could probably get similar results from dosing something like urea or a nitrogen based fertilizer.

If you have access to rotifers try feeding some rotifers every day. Otherwise seek out some other sps speficifc food. Lasy I looked the Reef Nutrition foods were actually a larger micron size than you would generally want for SPS. But, if that's what you've got I'd go that direction rather than amino acids.

Good luck! You'll probably need it trying to bring back color and health in maricultured or wild Acropora colonies.

Here is something I pulled from another thread hope it helps.
Highly dependent on Nitrate and PO4 levels. Of course all SPS colors are highly dependent on lack of N and P so I wanted to start with probably the easiest color to get, yellow. Yellows are sort of you baseline; yellows will tell you a lot about what is going on in your tank, what is needed and what is overdosed. Nitrate and/or PO4 reduction is most important, either through technical means such as nitrate/phosphate reducers or biologically through DSB, Carbon dosing and/or water changes and fuges. Basically, if you want to do SPS, I would suggest starting with an acropora that is yellow. If you can get it to say yellow for several months, you should be ready for something else.

Greens
Greens would be the next easiest color to tweak. Most green coloration can be achieved through the addition of an Iron Concentrate (Kents is what I use, however Iron is Iron). You must be very careful with Iron because it is also an Algae accelerator; this is why it is so important for you to get your yellows colors first (your N and P will be lowered). Additionally, I use my yellows as indicators for my greens and blues. You’ll notice a deficiancy if your greens are brown color or they are paling in color. I start off by dosing Iron at about 1 drop per 50 usg twice a week and take note of what happens, color changes, Algae growth, until my yellow acroporas display a green shimmer (it won’t be a solid green but a shimmer of a green/yellow). Please note, a sign of overdosing is a darkening of tissue, when this happens you have added too much iron or too much iron is being added. Another sign of overdosing is Algae growth, stop immediately and possibly do a water change if necessary. Like everything else reef, go slowly.

Blues and some purples
This is mainly for blues but I have found is can also have an effect on purples. The supplement for this is Potassium Iodide Concentrate or Lugol’s solution, ESV Potassium Iodide Concentrate will also work; don’t just get something that says Potassium because that is a little different. Dosing should be done when blue colors become less intense. Again, using yellow corals as indicators, stop dosing when yellow corals display a green shimmer.

Reds/Pinks and some Purples
Primarily for coloring reds and pinks in Montiporas, Pocilloporas, Birdsnest, other Stys and Seriatoporas. The supplement is Potassium (not potassium iodide). If you are using a high potassium salt mix such as Oceanic, Tropical Marine Pro and you are doing regular water changes, you are more than likely not going to need to supplement this much. For dosing you can use your monitporas, especially caps as indicators. Supplementing is required when Montiporas display slower growth and appear washed out to grey appearance. Indicators on Stys and Pocs are when they look like they have been exposed to air. Polyps are completely withdrawn and colors are light. Other indicators of potassium deficiency is when the pinks turn into a light brown and when acroporas loose their color and get lighter and pale. A major potassium deficiency is seen when tissue is lost, mostly starting from the base opposed to spotting (patchy look). And overdose can lead to tip burning so don’t mistake tip burn for new growth. Tips burns will be white with no polyps.

Purples
Probably one of the hardest coloration of all acroporas from my experience since it is a combination of several variables.
First and foremost is water clarity, which means Carbon and/or filter socks. I have also had good result from biological filters such as using cryptic zones, which produce seasquirts, sponges and other filter feeding animals. Zeo Sponge Power, which can be used in any system, feeds sponges. Sponges are great because they can filter a mass amount of water for better water clarity. From what I have noted, increased water clarify will first effect SPS tips but not the complete base. I have seen nana and valida with really nice purple tips but brown/tan/white bases. I have seen the same nana and valida in another’s tanks, which met all other parameters with a full purple from base to tip.
Second being lighting. From my observations of my own tank and others, purples seem to love 420-440nm range light spectrum, those found in actinics and 20K halides. Some of the best purples I have seen are in tanks that have 440nm blue actinics (ATI Blue+, Giessman Actinic) or 20K Halides (Radium, XM 20K).
Third, supplements such as Iodide and Potassium (see blues and Reds/Pinks). Again, make sure your greens are green and yellows are yellow. Your blue should be bright with depth. Iodide will also help if you have tip burn.
These are just my observations through testing and I am sure in the future other factors will be seen and added. Please feel free to comment with your own observations, data is very important to moving forward.

I think the people that see color benefits from amino acids are running nitrogen deficient tanks and could probably get similar results from dosing something like urea or a nitrogen based fertilizer.

If you have access to rotifers try feeding some rotifers every day. Otherwise seek out some other sps speficifc food. Lasy I looked the Reef Nutrition foods were actually a larger micron size than you would generally want for SPS. But, if that's what you've got I'd go that direction rather than amino acids.

Good luck! You'll probably need it trying to bring back color and health in maricultured or wild Acropora colonies.

I am using RottiFeast (rotifers) but you say the particle size is too big? Have you used it before? It's nearly liquid and I can assure you, the particle size is VERY small.

Here is something I pulled from another thread hope it helps.
Highly dependent on Nitrate and PO4 levels. Of course all SPS colors are highly dependent on lack of N and P so I wanted to start with probably the easiest color to get, yellow. Yellows are sort of you baseline; yellows will tell you a lot about what is going on in your tank, what is needed and what is overdosed. Nitrate and/or PO4 reduction is most important, either through technical means such as nitrate/phosphate reducers or biologically through DSB, Carbon dosing and/or water changes and fuges. Basically, if you want to do SPS, I would suggest starting with an acropora that is yellow. If you can get it to say yellow for several months, you should be ready for something else.

Greens
Greens would be the next easiest color to tweak. Most green coloration can be achieved through the addition of an Iron Concentrate (Kents is what I use, however Iron is Iron). You must be very careful with Iron because it is also an Algae accelerator; this is why it is so important for you to get your yellows colors first (your N and P will be lowered). Additionally, I use my yellows as indicators for my greens and blues. You'll notice a deficiancy if your greens are brown color or they are paling in color. I start off by dosing Iron at about 1 drop per 50 usg twice a week and take note of what happens, color changes, Algae growth, until my yellow acroporas display a green shimmer (it won't be a solid green but a shimmer of a green/yellow). Please note, a sign of overdosing is a darkening of tissue, when this happens you have added too much iron or too much iron is being added. Another sign of overdosing is Algae growth, stop immediately and possibly do a water change if necessary. Like everything else reef, go slowly.

Blues and some purples
This is mainly for blues but I have found is can also have an effect on purples. The supplement for this is Potassium Iodide Concentrate or Lugol's solution, ESV Potassium Iodide Concentrate will also work; don't just get something that says Potassium because that is a little different. Dosing should be done when blue colors become less intense. Again, using yellow corals as indicators, stop dosing when yellow corals display a green shimmer.

Reds/Pinks and some Purples
Primarily for coloring reds and pinks in Montiporas, Pocilloporas, Birdsnest, other Stys and Seriatoporas. The supplement is Potassium (not potassium iodide). If you are using a high potassium salt mix such as Oceanic, Tropical Marine Pro and you are doing regular water changes, you are more than likely not going to need to supplement this much. For dosing you can use your monitporas, especially caps as indicators. Supplementing is required when Montiporas display slower growth and appear washed out to grey appearance. Indicators on Stys and Pocs are when they look like they have been exposed to air. Polyps are completely withdrawn and colors are light. Other indicators of potassium deficiency is when the pinks turn into a light brown and when acroporas loose their color and get lighter and pale. A major potassium deficiency is seen when tissue is lost, mostly starting from the base opposed to spotting (patchy look). And overdose can lead to tip burning so don't mistake tip burn for new growth. Tips burns will be white with no polyps.

Purples
Probably one of the hardest coloration of all acroporas from my experience since it is a combination of several variables.
First and foremost is water clarity, which means Carbon and/or filter socks. I have also had good result from biological filters such as using cryptic zones, which produce seasquirts, sponges and other filter feeding animals. Zeo Sponge Power, which can be used in any system, feeds sponges. Sponges are great because they can filter a mass amount of water for better water clarity. From what I have noted, increased water clarify will first effect SPS tips but not the complete base. I have seen nana and valida with really nice purple tips but brown/tan/white bases. I have seen the same nana and valida in another's tanks, which met all other parameters with a full purple from base to tip.
Second being lighting. From my observations of my own tank and others, purples seem to love 420-440nm range light spectrum, those found in actinics and 20K halides. Some of the best purples I have seen are in tanks that have 440nm blue actinics (ATI Blue+, Giessman Actinic) or 20K Halides (Radium, XM 20K).
Third, supplements such as Iodide and Potassium (see blues and Reds/Pinks). Again, make sure your greens are green and yellows are yellow. Your blue should be bright with depth. Iodide will also help if you have tip burn.
These are just my observations through testing and I am sure in the future other factors will be seen and added. Please feel free to comment with your own observations, data is very important to moving forward.

I've seen this article before. I am not having difficulty with color in general. I am looking to get coloration back into some colonies that have bleached in shipment. This is challenging because my system is so nutrient poor.

I am just looking for advice on the best foods to feed SPS. I was under the impression it was rotti feast and oyster feast by Reef Nutrition but if I am wrong, I would love to know! :p

I am using RottiFeast (rotifers) but you say the particle size is too big? Have you used it before? It's nearly liquid and I can assure you, the particle size is VERY small.

I've seen this article before. I am not having difficulty with color in general. I am looking to get coloration back into some colonies that have bleached in shipment. This is challenging because my system is so nutrient poor.

I am just looking for advice on the best foods to feed SPS. I was under the impression it was rotti feast and oyster feast by Reef Nutrition but if I am wrong, I would love to know! :p

One thing it´s a sps coral that became pale because the lack of food/nutrients , but in your case there are some corals that stressed and have bleached in shipment. it´s going to be hard save the most of the corals. Try frag it.

I don't know if you seen this thread but maybe it will help
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2332173

In my experience, acros that lighten due to stress (shipping or light shock) can take a very long time to regain their coloration, much longer than similar corals that have lost their color from low N/P alone. I once had some Acros bleach from a timer that left a MH on for three days. It took them over six months to go from white, to very pale, to pastel and finally back to full color. On the other hand, I've made acros get very pale from carbon dosing or other low-nutrient methods, and seen them color up in less than a month once feeding resumed.

I was just going to say phol's extra special but looks like someone smart already recommedned it. Sponge power works well also. Aminos help too.

We are a store and we recently got a shipment of 90 acro colonies that were too long in transit and they arrived pretty bleached.

We have no detectable NO3/PO4 and I am trying hard to get my test kits (Salifert Nitrate/Hanna Phosphorus ULR) to register something by feeding heavy but I guess its just not enough.

I am afraid that amino acids are too clean and that I should continue what I am doing by feeding Reef Nutrition foods.

Any feedback is really appreciated.

What store?...

They both contain proprietary ingredients which some would say is snake oil. It is somewhat madening that they are not disclosed. But anyway they do work. Extra is like double strength, best I can tell you.

IMO if you keep the new corals as is without any new supplementation, there is a better chance they will recover and gain colors back, being that the ones already there are healthy.
By introducing new foods or other higher N containing ones, you can impact the low nutrient system and actualy delay progress.
I know it sucks but patience and stability here will be the best option along with time.
Good luck regardless

Back