Amyloodinium and Treatment

baobao

In Memoriam
Anyone care to comment on this statement, "Noga and Levy (1995) report on success with the use of chloroquine diphosphate (an antimalarial medicine). It was found to be very safe and effective in killing dinospores on excystment. It is non-toxic to fish, but very toxic to algae and many invertebrates, so, like copper, should only be used in an hospital tank. Treatment involves maintaining chloroquine diphosphate at 5-10 mg/L for 10 days. "?
I've mentioned Quinine Sulphate before, a controversial topic. Anyone have experience on using this product as prophylactic treatment against amyloodinium? (I know, most people will recommend copper medication), but I'd like to know whether someone has experimented with QS and found it effective or ineffective.The reason I'm so interested in alternative to copper is that time is of the essence in treating Amyloodnium and I think the trophant phase of Amyloodnium will not be affected by copper although it stresses fish out? Perhpas QS is a faster way to treat and has less danger of copper overdose.

Yes I commented on quinine sulfate being very limited (read ineffective) for treating Cryptocaryon irritans. Chloroquine diphosphate is very expensive and I donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t know anyone that is currently packaging it for the aquarium industry. You would have to ask a vet to help you out with a prescription.

Chloroquine diphosphate is effective against amyloodinium to a point in that it will kill the attached parasites and give some quick relief. My suggestion for using CD is to use it to give some quick relief. It is a one-time dose and treatment is supposed to last for 10 days. I think it would be more effective to combine a one-time dose of CD with a combination of hyposalinity and the transfer method. I call this the hyposaline-transfer method or hypo-*****. This method has not yet been tested in a scientific study. However, I have discussed my idea with Dr. Noga and Dr. Angleo Colorni and they both told me that it should work. They asked me to report back to them with the results, but I don't have the funding for such a trial.

Terry B

Is CD also effective against the less virulent Crypt? Any how does the transfer method work? Do you transfer fish to a spare tank and just clean the bottom/ dry out the first tank between transfers? Also is it just 4 transfers every 3 days? If CD is so effective, how come no one markets it?

The Major problem with any of the anti-malarial drugs, Quinine or Chloroquines, is that you do not know how much is "active" if you do a water change. You have to be very careful in calculating what was "removed". This is not a major problem with smaller Q tanks, but can be problematic in larger systems. Repeated water changes could drop levels below effectiveness, if underestimated. Unless you have access to a major chemical lab, you can not measure the levels of the active drug in the water.
Also, I have yet to read about definitive proof that Chloroquine remains "active" for the total three weeks needed for Amyloo treatment. Yes, Noga states that only one dose is needed (I think it was him), but I question this statement. I doubt that nothing would break down this drug over a period of time. Though, if anyone has info to the contrary, I would love to hear it.

Not positive about the Quinines, but the Chloroquines seem to be great for "instant" relief of Amyloo. But, I would switch over to another method after the inicial treatment. These being Hypo, Copper, the "Dip&Run" method, or Terry's "Transfer Method".

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6547165#post6547165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by baobao
Do you transfer fish to a spare tank and just clean the bottom/ dry out the first tank between transfers?

You need to sterilize that tank between transfers. Bleach works well ;)

Because amyloo is so virulent and by the time symptoms are recognized, it is usually too late to commence treatment with copper, I'm sure many hobbyists would be eager to have a product that can quickly provide temporary relief(I've read that FW serve this purpose, but are stressful and only provide partial alleviation). Thus, to reiterate LisaD's q, anyone know where CD be obtained?

Back