Anemone Id Please

Cutiewitbooty

I found a few of there anemones in my tank, but I can't qutie figure out what they are. They are really small, about 1/4th of the size of a dime and clear with little white bulbed tips. I have looked at majano anemones, but they look different. Majanos have a stock thing on their base and thicker greenish tips that arn't perfectly round like the ones I have. I did take a pic, but they don't really show up good on the camera. The pic is from the side, in the hole(looks kinda like a blur, but you can kinda see the tips on it. I'm really sorry about the quality :( I hope it helps a little, but i know it isnt very good. Well I hope you can help :D

DSCF1672.jpg

The white bulb tips make it sound like a Pseudocorynactis. Which is a Corallimorph not an anemone. :)

So hard to say with the above pic. :(

What are Corallimorph? The thing i have does have a mouth in the middle like an anemone though with the clear tentacles and the white cicular bulbs on the ends that move all around. I know the pic is bad though, if people still can't tell tomarrow, i'll try playing with my camera to get a good pic, but i'm not sure if i can.

I can't see it, but by your description, it is some sort of corallimorph. Corallimorphs are the same group of organisms that include mushroom "anemones." They are neither coral nor anemone--kind of in between, possessing characteristics of both, as well as their own unique ones.

Like Amy said, from the picture its next to impossible to tell but based on your description it lends itself to a Pseudocorynactis.

Here is a shot of mine:
pseudocorynactis.jpg

They do have a mouth and do accept meaty foods :)

I did a search on corallimorph and it showed a strawberry anemone which looks alot like what i have, mine are just more clear, less pink color. Here is a pic of a strawberry, mine looks just like it, but no pink and arn't in a bunch (they are singly), there are 3 in the same area, but not colser than 2 inches. Are they reefsafe?

Strawberry%20burst%202.jpg

ok yeah thats what it has to be, but mine are really tiny. What are their requirements? Do they need alot of light and will they sting corals?

with the picture.... make sure you're in macro mode, if possible use a tripod or stack of boxes to keep the camera still, and if it has one use the timer. These will all help in focusing better.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6526679#post6526679 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CodeToad
Like Amy said, from the picture its next to impossible to tell but based on your description it lends itself to a Pseudocorynactis.

Here is a shot of mine:
pseudocorynactis.jpg

They do have a mouth and do accept meaty foods :)

Awesome Matt! :thumbsup:

Ok here are 3 pics, i think this is the best my camera can do (without doing all that confusing manual settings stuff) There are 2 of thoes things in that hole, i can only get them from the side. The one thats out in the open just blends intto he rock in the pics. These still arn't the best, but better than the first pic.

In this pic all thoes little dots in the hole are the tips of the creature
DSCF1959.jpg

DSCF1961.jpg

DSCF1964.jpg

No worse then any other Corallimorph. Some people look for them to have in their tank. Other curse them for reproducing in their systems. :)

Back