Just got back from the Carribean

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
So I just took a cruise to San Juan, Amber Cove and St. Thomas. I of course couldn’t find my underwater camera so no snorkeling pics, but went snorkeling in Turtle Cove at Buck Island. I was surprised to see a few colonies of Staghorn Cervicornis. With the exception of the bases which had algae, they looked healthy and were a nice Golden Tan with bluish white tips, kinda reminded my of the ORA Stuber Stag.

Anyway was awesome to see. I also saw some amazingly colored Bi-Color damsels (had some striking yellow in them which didn’t seem all that common but can be seen in some photos online.

Also really tempted to set up a FOWLR tank to keep a pair of Chaetodon striatus. Saw a pair of them which was awesome

Nice Shane. I was pleasantly surprised in March 2023 in Key Largo seeing A. Palmata colonies.

Here’s some pics from Pennekamp state parks aquariums with A. cervicornis.

Attachments

• IMG_7330.jpeg
    IMG_7330.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7329.jpeg
    IMG_7329.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
Man to have a frag of that. I’m almost curious if the OG Stuber is a A. cervicornis. ORA’s just shows Acropora Sp. Not sure when the coral/rock collection went into place (I haven’t googled it)

Man to have a frag of that. I’m almost curious if the OG Stuber is a A. cervicornis. ORA’s just shows Acropora Sp. Not sure when the coral/rock collection went into place (I haven’t googled it)
I do not believe the Stuber is an A. Cervicornis. I have no proof, just gut feel. I’ve wanted an Cerv or a look alike for a long time. Stuber is as close as you can get to having the real deal. However, it is illegal to have the real thing.

They do sure look alike. I had forgotten about the Stuber until you brought it up. Now I want a frag😂🤣

Damn, the more I’m looking at pics, the more I think Stuber might be a Cervicornis.

The only issue is it says it’s a pacific region Acropora but who knows. I’m sure the same species could be found across the oceans
Ah, didn’t catch that. Would kill to know where Stuber sourced the original.

That’s pretty good. Would be interesting to see the success rate as it’s maricultured

Oh, and I will NEVER order from liveaquaria again. I’ll order and ORA frag.

Oh, and I will NEVER order from liveaquaria again. I’ll order and ORA frag.
Yea, I stopped ordering from them once they took away the build your own cleaner packs with free shipping. Once spring rolls back around, I’ll probably get with you about that montipora as well if it’s still doing well. I still need to rescape my tank as I have a lot of unusable real estate due to current design/larger softies. My only concern is I don’t want to crash everything by stirring up everything when rescaping.

I’ll probably put in an ORA order with SaltwaterAquarium.com next year too

Back