Anemone insides coming out??

I ask this because most filters whether HOB or canister, internal ETC. Can become nitrate factories. You could either clean up the filter pad in old tank water or ditch it altogether.

I have a little internal filter on my nano to help with flow till I get a wavemaker. I clean the filter pads at least twice a week.

I did a 30% water change. :/ it's went down a lot. I haven't checked again yet. If it spikes again I will do a 50%

Yeah you did tell me. But the corals I have keep me from doing that. The person who I got them from told me not to do a water change all the time. Then the people at the store tell me monthly.. I'm not ignoring advice I'm listening but seriously? I don't know what to do.

If there is no decaying material trapped in your rock and sand, and your test is accurate, change 30% of the water your nitrates cannot be any lower than 54, which is still way too high for a reef tank.
How much water to change depends on your water condition. If you do a 50% water change your nitrates cannot decreased anymore than 50%. If you want to lower the "bad chemicals" in your tank then do a lot of water change. Water change, if you do it right, will cause no problem to your tank. You need to get the salinity and temperature to match, and you need to age newly mixed salt water.

You should not target feed your anemone more than every 3rd days at the most, not twice a day. Tiny pieces of fish food that they caught does not count in term of schedule feeding.

Why is your Nitrate so high? In a reef tank, it should not be detectable. What kind of filter do you have for your tank? Do you have any sand? What is the tank volume? How may fish, and how big? How do you feed them?

Anemone are mostly water. A 10 inches anemone have very low body mass in compare to a fish. They are also photosynthetic and therefor need a whole lot less food than a 10 inches fish. Depends on how much food, but even with just a little food feeding an anemone twice a day is way too much.

Give us more information and maybe we can help.

BTW, almost all the time, I would not consider information from a LFS as good information.

Never trust lfs . If you don't know what to do or have any questions you can always ask on this forum. There are many experience reefers here on RC . You will learn a lot here and that will make you save a lot money.

Change 50% water to reduce nitrate fast. If your nitrate is 80 then after 50% wc it will reduce to 40 for example. After you have reduce your nitrate to around 30 you can try the Red Sea No3Po4-x (nopox) . I heard many good reviews about it for reducing nitrate very fast to undetectable range.

+10 To not listening to LFS before us. Most LFS people have no experience with reef tanks.

Finally - for an in-depth analysis of water changes, see: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

TLDR - 10% Water Weekly Water changes are a good baseline, up to 5-10% water changes daily if tank params are very high (NO3, in your case), until NO3 is reduced below 10 PPM. Then resume weekly 10% water changes.

Back