anemone question ??

dgiglio

Ive read online that an anemone should only be kept in a tank that is at least a year old. Is this true? I have a tank that's been set up almost 6 months with wide variety corals, live rock, inverts, and fish. I would be looking at getting an aquacultured bubble tip or mini carpet, as it seems they would be hardier than recently collected ones. Also ive been in the hobby almost 5 years, so I'm far from a beginner. Would this be okay?
Thanks
D.G

Last edited:
Well for being in the hobby for 5yrs you should be ready for anything! I would put one in there. I have been in the hobby for a couple years and couple weeks ago I added a gbta in my tank and he's not happy. Hides in my rock all the time... As long as your lighting is good and youre not having any problems with your system I would add one. Keep in mind that if the anemone isn't happy it could move all over your tank. (boat im in now)

Yeah, as far as lighting goes I have a 48" coralife MH combo with two 150 watt MH and two 96 watt power compacts over a 75g tank. Ive never really kept nems before, mainly just softies and LPS coral. The only issue I'm battling right now is my phosphates must be a little high since I have a little algae starting to grow. I just got a GFO reactor with GFO and carbon and I'm now using a algae scrubber. Also put some macro in the 'fuge so hopefully I'll get rid of that issue.
Thanks

i put a RBTA in my tank the day my cycle was complete with no issues. you only need to have stable water conditions and good lighting. and some target feeding but i think waiting a year is excessive

i put a RBTA in my tank the day my cycle was complete with no issues. you only need to have stable water conditions and good lighting. and some target feeding but i think waiting a year is excessive

How long have you had your nem now?

Having the cycle finished doesn't necessarily assure stable conditions.

Back