Anemone settled behind the rocks ...HELP!

Carrera76

I purchased a Green Bubble Tip Anemone few weeks ago from another reefer. It is a nice looking GBTA but the problem is that it has settled behind the rocks. It has been there for a couple of weeks now and it does not look like it is going to move any time soon. I wonder if there is something I can do to encourage it to search for a different spot in the tank. I don't think that the GBTA is getting enough light or food as it is impossible for me to reach it. It looks healthy but am afraid that it will slowly die as it is not getting any food. I think I read somewhere that If I put a powerhead close to the GBTA the flow will force the GBTA to move. I guess I'll try to pst some pics later...........

Anemone.jpg

Anemone3.jpg

Anemone1.jpg

The anemone is pretty badly bleached. The current lighting may be too strong for him until he recovers. That's what mine did while it was bleached, hid on the underside of rocks. Another reason could be that the flow there is how he likes it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10462442#post10462442 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by b.branscombe
The anemone is pretty badly bleached. The current lighting may be too strong for him until he recovers. That's what mine did while it was bleached, hid on the underside of rocks. Another reason could be that the flow there is how he likes it.

Well, I purchased this Anemone from another reefer and the GBTA had been in his tank for a while under 2x150 MH + 2X39 T5's . I have the same light fixture in my tank so I wonder what's going on. Myabe the GBTA liked the flow that it gets behind the rocks....who knows...

You mentioned that your anemone hid under a rock for a while until it got better. Did your GBTA eventually searched for a new spot in your tank once it healed?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10462490#post10462490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Carrera76
You mentioned that your anemone hid under a rock for a while until it got better. Did your GBTA eventually searched for a new spot in your tank once it healed?

Yeah, sort of. After it had regained it's colour, it moved itself, but then I moved it to a spot where I wanted it to be. It stayed there for a while, then one day disappeared deep into the rockwork. At this point, I was happy to just let it go wherever it wanted to go. Few days later, two anemones popped out of the crack and moved to where they are now. They like to site with their foot in a crack and reach out to the halides during the day, then retract a little when the halides go off.

Bubble Tip anemone
BTA id bleach it.

You need to feed it regulary 3 times a week of if you can daily with some pices of silverside.

About the hiding. they like flow baybe she is looking for more flow but the dislike too much light.

the better place to put them is attach to a rock at the botom where they can hide easely if the light is too strong. How long are you MH running? remember hight sun is anly from 11AM-2PM so you don need tu rum MH all day.

I had the same probelm too insted of trying to desatachh it I shift the rock facin frontal. but still moves but a better palce where I could feed it.

Take a look at this site is a great information site for BTAs

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/index.htm

I don't think that the lighting is the problem since this anemone was in another tank that had exactly the same light fixture on (2X150HQI + 2X39T5's). The anemone had been in this other tank for several months and it did very well. It ended up in my tank because the previous owner decided to shut down his tank.

As I mentioned before , the previous owner had exactly the same light fixture on his tank.

I almost forgot to mention that the MH are only on for 6 hours a day. Most people have them on for at least 8 hours so I don't think that 6 hours is too much.

Cheers

keep a close eye beacuse like is movng, becarefull not to get in to a powerhead.
But still is bleach it you need to feed it better give the some silversides or shrimp soak in selcon

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10468232#post10468232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aaron7405
But still is bleach it you need to feed it better give the some silversides or shrimp soak in selcon

I can't feed because it is behind the rocks.....can't reach it:(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10469223#post10469223 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aaron7405
flip the rock if you can

Flipping the rock is not an option unless I take most of the live rock out of the tank.

get a large turkey baster. cut up pieces of shrimp or silversides and using tank water lightly blow the pieces onto the anemone. even if you can't reach it the baster should allow you to blow the pieces to it. good luck.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10470565#post10470565 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Genin
get a large turkey baster. cut up pieces of shrimp or silversides and using tank water lightly blow the pieces onto the anemone. even if you can't reach it the baster should allow you to blow the pieces to it. good luck.

I guess I didn't even try to feed it because somebody told me not long ago that If I fed the Anemone then it would not move any more. But I'll try to feed it otherwise it will slowly die.....:(

Back