Anthias experts: which species for my tank?

Right now I'm not sure what I will do.
Maybe I just move my Gramma trio from the sump up to the main tank and call it a day.

These flukes really got me scared. I rather have ich b in my tanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Really sorry to hear you lost them all!

Does flukes usually kill that quickly?
I would think that it takes them a while to build up the numbers to be lethal, but they are very hard to spot and by the time you see behavioral symptoms it may already be too late.

I would think that it takes them a while to build up the numbers to be lethal, but they are very hard to spot and by the time you see behavioral symptoms it may already be too late.

I did not know that. Thankfully I've never really had any disease problems with the few reef fish I've had.

Sorry to learn of the loss of these beautiful fish - always stinks when you are committed and knowledgeable, and still experience failure.

I actually started using PraziPro a while ago just because of the large numbers of fish I observed coming in to LFS's with flukes - hopefully you try again and have better luck.

Well, flukes are something new for me.
I was assuming they had ich, it looked the part and seemed to have disappeared and then returned like ich normally does. And based on the level there should have been plenty of time to treat against it.
I could kick myself that I haven't started hyposalinity earlier with them. The flukes they had were Capsalids which can't handle low salinities :headwally:

I normally don't treat with PraziPro since the few times I tried it the fish reacted very badly to it.

I'm not sure if I try these or any other Anthias any time soon again. They seem to be more trouble than they are worth. That wouldn't scare me with a fish that lives 5 or more years, but I got the feeling that Anthias are among the extremely short lived fish. And these guys are likely to be even shorter lived when kept at higher temperatures - and all my other tank inhabitants like it warmer.

Maybe I revisit the idea of adding a group of yellow Assessors.
And I may also go through with getting one or two females for my Starcki.

But before adding anything new I need to have a closer look at all the fish in there and make sure I didn't get any flukes into the system with any of the previous fish...

Whenever I have doubt between ich or flukes and fish is looking very bad (desperate for help/treatment)...I resort to coppersafe combined with Prazi. It works well almost every time.

The thing is that these fish were not looking very bad at all. No heavy breathing, no clamping of fins,... nothing but some whitish spots on their fins and some occasional scratching.
It just looked like a mild case of Cryptocaryon.
They only started to behave a bit strange the evening before the first four perished. Based on that I had planned to start hyposalinity treatment the next day, but by then they were already gone.

Once you have had a known disease in a quarantine system, how long do you let it fallow? ... or, is a teardown and disinfecting a reasonable alternative?

Teardown and bleaching everything - it's really not worth taking a risk.
My QTs don't get cycled beyond throwing in a ball of chaeto or some a rock from an established system.

That was my thinking, but I've never done QT so I was not sure.

You would have to fallow the QT long enough to make sure whatever disease you were dealing with was gone. Just sorting things out for my tank start up, thanks.

Fallow will not get rid of everything, so sterilization is the only way to go.

Back