Any "all-in-one" owners? Past or present?

kelp47

For various reasons, I'm looking to downsize my custom configured 75 gallon setup, and I'm considering an all-in-one around 30 gallons (I'll just be keeping 2 clownfish, 2 shrimp gobies, a royal gramma, a few inverts and gorgonians).

Any opinions on all-in-ones in general, or brand-specific?

These are the best options I can find at the moment:

Waterbox Marine 35.1
https://waterboxaquariums.com/colle...ariant=31713750876269#shopify-product-reviews
(I still have to supply skimmer, return pump and other flow, ATO.
None of the reservoirs are large, but this is more than most.)

Red Sea Reefer 170
https://www.redseafish.com/aquarium-systems/reefer/
(I still have to supply skimmer, return pump and other flow, lights.)

Red Sea Max-E 170
https://www.redseafish.com/aquarium-systems/max-aquarium-systems/max-e-series/
(All equipment included, but all filtration including skimming happens in the rear of the tank. I can upgrade to a cabinet sump, but this is going to add on to the cost.)

Reef Octopus LUX T60
http://reefoctopus.com/product/octo-lux-aquarium-tank-systems/
(I have to supply lights, but all else is included.
Reservoir is almost pointless at less than a gallon.)

Hey. I've had a few all in ones including an orca, red sea max 130D and 250.
I do love the red seas, but found their skimmers useless, also had to upgrade their baskets.

I do love these tanks for the simplisity.
I had a lot of success with soft corals, some hard corals and nems.

Personally, now I would really always look at a sumped.

It is so nice to have all the guts of the tank out of the way, the extra volume of water etc..

For example, if you got the Rsm170e, you could make the rear chambers in to a fuge, which would supply something like a mandarin with food.

Better still, you don't need the back at all, so could have more display water.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks CrazeUK. I really didn't like the idea of all the filtration and other equipment in the back of the tank either, but wanted to hear from others. So you're helping validate my thoughts. Thanks!

I would definitely rather have a sumped setup. I'm only doing a 40 gallon breeder myself but I didn't seriously consider an AIO for a main display tank.

My first tank ever of any kind was a 40G cube -- mixed reef. It had the 4 compartments in the back and I used a Icecap K1 nano protein skimmer

It was fine for me as I sat next to it practically all day bc I have always had a home-office.

2 things I always struggled with:

1.) Temperature -- I spent a lot of money on A/C to make sure the water did not get too warm. In the hot summer months, sometimes it would fluctuate a lot.

2.) Nutrient control -- I was constantly battling some kind of algae.

I also found myself limited to the livestock I could put in the tank. Personally, I would never go back to AIO small tank again.

I have 2 AIO's, both Innovative Marine. Fusion Pro 50 w/ APS stand and a 25 Lagoon.

I don't think there is a better AIO made today. Build quality is fantastic, and IM makes skimmers and reactors that fit the tanks, if you're interested in that kind of thing.

I struggled too with problems in an AIO, but 2 things I learned from my 25 when building my 50. In my experience, it's overfeeding and overstocking, if you can manage those 2 things, AIO's are wonderful.

I have no experience with those, but I did have a Solana and a Bio Cube.

I don't love AIO tanks, but I don't hate them either. My only issue with them is the lack of flexibility/space for equipment like skimmers, ATOs, refugeums, etc. A sump, even a small one, buys you a lot of flexibility.

AIO tanks have their place in life, but if you have a stand you probably have room for a sump. I'd try to find a sumped tank first, then go AIO if nothing works.

I had a innovative marine fusion 20 and it was amazing. Quality and functionality was amazing. No issues. Only changed because I wanted a bigger tank. The 40 gal is really really nice

Back