Any good HOB skimmer/mechanical filters?

Jeremy Blaze

Former Reef Addict
So, I 'retired' from reefing in 2012. Used to be pretty deep in the hobby.

I just picked up a 35 Gallon Cube and thought it might make a great "nano" reef. My first thought was a simple HOB filter with a place for carbon and pad, and a small skimmer. There used to be a lot of companies making these ( in fact I used to) but I can't find anything, other than the Aquamaxx HF-M, of which I can't find much reviews of. Is this HOB any good? Are there others I should look at? I wish I still had my Acrylic tools, I would just build my own.

I just picked up a 35 Gallon Cube and thought it might make a great "nano" reef. My first thought was a simple HOB filter with a place for carbon and pad, and a small skimmer. There used to be a lot of companies making these ( in fact I used to) but I can't find anything, other than the Aquamaxx HF-M, of which I can't find much reviews of. Is this HOB any good? Are there others I should look at? I wish I still had my Acrylic tools, I would just build my own.
Welcome bank Jeremy. I've never been much into nano reefs and have never used HOBs so, unfortunately, I can't be much help.

I think this is the one Chuck uses.

I think this is the one Chuck uses.

Yep, that's the one. I have been very pleased with this skimmer.

I have HOB's
I have a free remora Pro if you want (no pump). A little noisy even after broken in. +shipping. I'm in 91344
I also have a SeaSideAquatics ES1 (Sea Side Aquatics ES1 Hang On Back Clear Protein Skimmer): Almost new. Used less then 3 weeks. $100.00 +shipping. SUPER quite!

Both might be a little overkill for your tank.....

Back