anyone ever see this problem, or have the answer? with pics

anybody think I should try the red sea reef energy A and B, or just start with removing most of the xenia and feeding more?

anybody think I should try the red sea reef energy A and B, or just start with removing most of the xenia and feeding more?
If it were me... I get the Xenia out. Soft corals can release chemical war fair on other corals. Had a Toadstool years ago. Every time I added a new LPS or SPS the Toadstool could sense (smell) them in the water flow. That joker would always start releasing chemicals in the war and the chemical war fair was on. This is how they hold and take over new space in the wild on coral reefs. Finally got him out and my entire reef calmed down.

Either way, Please keep us updated with your progress.

Regards, Govols

Thanks for the advice guys!!! I'm actually more excited about this than any of the other suggestions/ideas I've tried before.

I'm gonna follow these suggestions, and see how things look in a month or so.

I'll get another magnesium test. I understand it needs checked, as that was the one I was checking most at one point, when I was getting my parameters where they should be, and went through more of those tests than any other actually. A couple years ago when I started addressing my problems, it was around 1500, then after getting everything squared away, it runs about 1350, and I add Kent Tech M as maintenance...

GoVols, I love the grease/saliva analogy!!!!
Thanks, That's how Lou from Tropic Marin explained it to me years ago.

He's head over Tropic Marin USA.

I'd say took out probably at least well over 50%

Only 2 big patches I left were by the anemone, cause he keeps them under control!!!

I'll post pics tomorrow night and show you guys what I've done

Looks like crap right now, and not too worried about the aquascaping right now

I've seen you ask a few times about whether or not your RODI water could be the culprit.

Have you done a TDS check on the water it's putting out? Is it zero? If it's zero I think you can remove the water from the list of potential culprits.

edit: Also, I thought of all the soft corals Xenia was the one that basically had no chemical defenses, is that inaccurate?

To answer your question alcimedes, my RO/DI unit is a 4 stage from bulk reef supply, and has a built in TDS meter. Now whether or not those are reliable, or totally accurate, I'm not sure, and maybe someone here could answer that. If it is reliable, yes it does read 0. And I just changed the filters about a month ago.....

Have you eliminated copper or other metal contamination as a possibility? I remember reading a thread that was somewhat similar, and it turned out to be low level copper contamination. Can't find the thread it may be on another forum.

Not discounting what others have said, they are probably right. I would however try a Polyfilter and see what color it turns.

Tried poly filter a while ago. If I remember right, it just turned an algae/dirty look.

Also bought a copper test, as someone suggested that a while ago, read 0 copper

FYI,
I've being running Purigen in a huge (modded) Aquamaxx Bio Pellet reactor to help keep nitrates down and it works.

I just ordered 6 liters of Seachem Matrix (this morning) and going run it in that reactor at about 30 gal per hour flow rate and see if can do what the Purigen is doing.

Back