Anyone have home/renters insurance that covers Tanks??

Hers doesn't. And the security deposit isn't enough to replace the carpet, drywall and whatever else might potentially get damaged.

You should also find out if the homeowner's policy covers damage to the property from you or your pets or your aquarium. If so, then the landlord is covered. Some policies explicitly exclude things like aquariums or water-filled furniture.

her homeowners insurance, which she is required to carry if she is renting any portion or all of the home for income, SHOULD cover anything resulting in tank or equipment failure. Its like a water heater or anything else in the home. As an owner with renters, i am unaware of the renters rights to my insurance policy, but as a landlord, i made sure my back side is covered for anything my renters could conjure up. If your landlord says she is not covered for any damages caused by your fishtank, i am led to believe she is lying, and i would ask for a copy of the policy, give it to another insurance agent and have them tell you. If she says she is not covered for "fish tank failure" it is her solely not liking the idea of hundreds of gallons of water sitting on her hardwood floors. And if she does have a policy that excludes fish tanks, yet does not exclude fish tanks from your rental lease, well, that is HER problem, not yours.

All true. If there isn't anything in the lease that excludes your tank then she doesn't really have a leg to stand on. Of course you should try to work out an amicable solution. Did you ask first before setting up your tank?

Yeah, it sounds odd that her insurance wouldn't cover damage. I would offer to pay the deductible, if your tank caused any damage.

I think you guys are right. I'm sure her insurance covers it but she just doesn't wan time to have it. She is a very meticulous by the book person. We met at a restaurant to go over the lease agreement before the move in and we spent like an hour and a half going over every detail and concern she had. She had a lot of no this no that. I mean after an hour and a half I figured I had heard everything she didn't want lol. So when I set up the tank I didn't say anything because I really didn't believe it was an issue. She is a very eccentric woman.

She came at me from every angle yesterday. She told me that no insurance companies wanted to deal with tanks. I told her not true. She said I might have to pay a premium and that I should think about that. I told her that to each is own and though the insurance wasnt worth it to her that it was to me. She said well your going to have to pay more in electricity. I said that was my concern not hers and that I had no problem with that.

Like I said, she came at from every angle but the conclusion was that if I could get the renters insurance to cover any damage that might incur for a catastrophe then she will "consider" it. I can't wait to buy my own home lol

Well, if there's nothing barring it in the lease, she has no way to stop you. She can have a preference but can't evict you.

I agree. She was trying to tell me that I needed permission from her and that anything like that would mean an amendment to the lease agreement

My father was a landlord to several homes. Its almost impossible to kick someone out of a house even if (which you didn't) break the contract.

I would just ignore her unless you want to continue living at her house. But my theory is she will probably include a "no fish tank clause " in her next contract with you

Good luck

Ya Jonathon if its not in your lease she can't do anything about it.

However, she may also become unresponsive and rude... in regards to other issues that may come up and like the above said your next lease would probably include it... but she can't "amend" your lease without both parties consent and signatures.

Back