Anyone keep 2 PBT in the same system?

Pinkskunk

Successfully without a fight?

I have seen tanks with 2 yellow tangs. I have not seen tank with 2 Powder Blue Tangs. Just wondering anyone keep 2? i want to keep 2 in a 180 reef that has no fish right now.

I can say with some certainty that two will not work in a 180. I have a powder blue and a powder blue hybrid in my 520 (close enough to two PBs), and wouldn't recommend it in general. Tank size certainly helps, and even in very large systems one should be ready to remove one of the fish should things not work out.

I've seen it done in a couple of large (300-400 gal) systems that we maintained many years ago. In both cases the specimens were small and introduced at the same time. In one case it worked (for at least 5 yrs that I knew of); in the other, one of the PBT "mysteriously" disappeared. ;)

ok thanks guys i will settle for one then. these guys are ick magnet and if they dont get along they will become ick super-magnet.

I can say with some certainty that two will not work in a 180. I have a powder blue and a powder blue hybrid in my 520 (close enough to two PBs), and wouldn't recommend it in general. Tank size certainly helps, and even in very large systems one should be ready to remove one of the fish should things not work out.

+1 I had two purples in a 180g without issue. Tried the same thing years later with PBT and it didn't work out at all.

ive kept pbts for years, never tried 2 in the same tank, but def advise against it, one is a plenty, they will stress pretty easy sometimes and having 2 would def elevate the situation.

Of the more common smaller tangs, BPT is the most aggressive. More than the Powder brown, purple, mimic, yellow, I never keep a clown tang or black tang.

ok thanks guys i will settle for one then. these guys are ick magnet and if they dont get along they will become ick super-magnet.

If your not going to qt them, I would advise against any tang at all. I have 4 tangs in one tank & 6 in another. No ich at all because I qt.

Back