Anyone run EDUCTORS in their tanks?

bmkj02

Trying to get more flow from my Sea Swirls. I can turn up the valve on the return line but then its is too much water being returned. If so, how do you like it? Is it a big difference? I would be using two 1 inch is so.

Attachments

• 207946-threadedeductor1-2-3-4-1-a.jpg
    207946-threadedeductor1-2-3-4-1-a.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 0
I have them on my Qt system. They def work. My only issue is they stick out into the tank fairly far for my taste

Hmmm. For about $45 for two of them, I think I'll try it out and see. If I don't like it's easy to pull off.

I just put a pair of them on my 40B using a Jebao DC-6000. They work fairly well. You get the true benefit of a pump that is able to give higher pressure, and that is where you actually see the claims of '4x the flow' being met. By my calculation, my DC-6000 should give right at 1,100 GPH with the 42" of head height I have and it seems to a bit over double the flow out of it.

20150824_224654.jpg

In the grand scheme of things they aren't so bad since they do what they should :)

If you use them you need a higher pressure pump to get the most out of them. They really are not bad. If I ever get a chance to do the long peninsula tank I want enductors will probably be used.

You get less volume from the pump, but more volume in the tank due to the induced flow.

A higher volume of water is being moved around inside the tank, but there is not an increased volume of water coming out of the eductor. All the eductor doing is increasing the velocity of the water coming out of the nozzle. In many cases, eductors add head pressure to the pump, thereby reducing the volume of water being pumped up from the sump. It's a question of velocity vs. volume.

A higher volume of water is being moved around inside the tank, but there is not an increased volume of water coming out of the eductor. All the eductor doing is increasing the velocity of the water coming out of the nozzle. In many cases, eductors add head pressure to the pump, thereby reducing the volume of water being pumped up from the sump. It's a question of velocity vs. volume.

The high velocity water coming out of the jet portion of the educator sucks in water from the tank via transfer of momentum. The flow through the jet portion will be less than the flow from the same pump if it was unrestricted. The flow out the end of the diffuser section will be more than the flow at the jet portion by several times, but at a lower velocity.

I have designed a couple of these on a much larger scale for subsea excavation.

Well, I have a Reeflo pump. Barracuda. If I turn the valve fully open I get the pressure I need but my overflows can't handle it. So I figured I can close the valve some and then add these to get me where I need to be at.

The high velocity water coming out of the jet portion of the educator sucks in water from the tank via transfer of momentum. The flow through the jet portion will be less than the flow from the same pump if it was unrestricted. The flow out the end of the diffuser section will be more than the flow at the jet portion by several times, but at a lower velocity.

I have designed a couple of these on a much larger scale for subsea excavation.

Yep, that's all true. I just wanted to make the distinction between flow inside the tank vs. flow moving up from the sump as the OP mentioned his overflow couldn't handle any additional flow.

Well, I have a Reeflo pump. Barracuda. If I turn the valve fully open I get the pressure I need but my overflows can't handle it. So I figured I can close the valve some and then add these to get me where I need to be at.

Might not have to, when you put the eductors on they will act as a restriction and slow the flow from the pump. You might still have to restrict with a valve, depending.

They work well on my hammerhead. I acutally removed one from one of my lines because I needed to slow the flow down in that area

First thought to use eductor, but decided to use the active eductor, thereby to convert the input of water in the tank.
DSC_2856_500.jpg
DSC_2865_500.jpg

bmkj02, look at the mini eductor, but only for a mini tank

I like them. Pocillopora colonies have settled and grown on top of mine making them less obtrusive.

For some reason, I never thought about these in a aquarium application. After googling around for a few does anyone know where I can get these where they aren't 20 freaking dollars? That's redic mang.

Back