Apista help

BIG_RED91791

In the past couple of weeks apista have started popping up all around my tank and I was wondering what the best way to get of them is.

You can make them mad with the Aitpasia-X.... or you can buy some Berghia Nudibranchs and watch the Aips get devoured, base and all...

LL

I have had the best luck using a "gang" of peppermint shrimp. (5+) Plus it's fun to watch them eat the anemones. One or two usually will not do the trick. It's almost as if they become emboldened when there are 4-5+.

For just a couple nems I also used to use lemon juice and a syringe. I stick the lemon juice in the microwave until it is boiling hot, fill the syringe, and go to town right through the mouth. Try to get into the stem.

I have always had success by nuking them with a kalk paste then peppermint shrimp would take care of the remaining tissue.

I think I'm going to have to pass on the laser for now. I've considered peppermint shrimp but I wasn't sure if the wrasse would bother them

I use the peppermint shrimp. The aptasia x works but like said before you have to get them to injest it, I used a needle and if my hand was steady enough and they were fully open could get it right in the center and kill them. As also said before it doesn't help with the ones you can't reach. The peppermints took care of all of the aptasia, even the big ones once the smaller ones were gone and I haven't seen any since. If only they would eat the mojanos I would be in great shape. I have a copperband butterfly as well and he doesn't eat any of it.

I do like the laser idea after seeing some of the videos. Where can you get them and how much arevthey? Are shrimp safe with six line wrasses?

I really do HATE aptasia. It's the worse part of this hobby. i'm contantly aptasia hunting.

I have always used super glue.I just cover the aptasia and walk away.

Does that work? seems easy enough. :)

For just a couple nems I also used to use lemon juice and a syringe. I stick the lemon juice in the microwave until it is boiling hot, fill the syringe, and go to town right through the mouth. Try to get into the stem.

I have heard that Lemon Juice is the ticket, never tried it though. so do you need to have a needle on the end of the syringe?

I prefer injecting them with kalkwasser. You're not using enough to effect the water any, and on top of that, you're adding just a small amount of calcium back in to the tank.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a biological solution for the problem that I like. Peppermint Shrimp are hit and miss, various Butterflyfish are also hit and miss and even a little finicky (not to mention expensive), Berghia Nudibranchs seem like the ultimate solution but I don't want to have an animal that will starve to death when the food supply runs out. I don't want to have money in my tank just die off, nor do I want to have an animal that is doomed in my tank.

With all that said, there is one other option that I can only confirm 50% but my wife confirms 100%. We had a Molly Miller Blenny (Scartella cristata) --RIP We miss you!-- that I've heard stories of them eating Aiptasia. I've never seen them do it, but my wife says she has. I'm inclined to believe her since we used to have Aiptasia in that tank but they disappeared. I couldn't confirm if it was the blenny eating them or if it was my persistance in kalk injections. I'll let you make the judge. Oh, and if you do find a Molly Miller Blenny on the market, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I've been searching for one for a long time and would jump on it in a heartbeat.

Never seen that site before! Thank you! I've been on the email list for liveaquaria for about 3 years for both a molly miller blenny and a princess damsel. The pricess damsel came in once, but it was the one time that I actually didn't have a tank up. I was kicking myself in the rear for it.

I have heard that Lemon Juice is the ticket, never tried it though. so do you need to have a needle on the end of the syringe?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I usually just ask my vet for a few every so often. I think I still have one lying around if you need it. The benefit to the lemon juice is that you only need a small syringe.

I've tried kalk paste, but pushing it through even a large syringe (Flavor injector) was a nightmare.

Travis - Are you using paste or just saturated limewater?

Back