Aquaforest Calcium and KH product question

dcw1sfu

I'm just looking at the amount of each product that you would add to 1 gallon of RODI water. In doing the calculations it seems that the dosage is roughly half of the normal standardized 2 part equation. Is there any reason why the concentration of each of these is approximately half of that of standard calcium and alkalinity 2 part solutions?

For instance:
Aquaforest calcium calls for 200 grams per 4 liters
Normal 2 part calcium solution using calcium chloride calls for
400 to 500 grams per 4 liters

Aquaforest Calcium is Calcium chloride anhydrous and should be mixed just like we recommend:

50g per 1 liters / 200g per 4 liters

Regards,
Aquaforest

OK if I were to use another brand of calcium chloride anhydrous that mixes at 400grams per 4 liters which is double the concentration of aquaforest mix would I also double the amount of Aquaforest Component Strong added to the mix. As with aquaforest calcium/magnesium and alkalinity it calls for 19ml per 4 liters but if my calcium and alkalinity mix concentration is double would I add 38 MLS as essentially I would be dosing half the amout? I hope that makes sense.

The solution is much more concentrated, likely. I use 54ml of seachem reef fusion 2 part, whereas with BRS, I was using 120ml, it is possible to have these solutions mixed with better efficiency, that is likely the case with AF, FWIW...

The solution is much more concentrated, likely. I use 54ml of seachem reef fusion 2 part, whereas with BRS, I was using 120ml, it is possible to have these solutions mixed with better efficiency, that is likely the case with AF, FWIW...

That makes sense in a pre-mixed solution however the aquaforest products I'm referring to are the dry powders. Calcium chloride and Sodium bicarbonate. I don't believe a dry powder chemical could be more concentrated. Possibly if we knew the concentration of the liquid once these are mixed at aquaforest recommended amounts.

From my experience I was adding a lot more carbonates than calcium when I was dosing the BRS 2 part. I think aquaforest has a less concentrated calcium mix so that you can dose the same amount of calcium and carbonates mix and keeping the calcium from going too high. I used to dose:

80ml BRS calcium mix
130ml BRS carbonate

Right now I'm dosing 90ml of each of the aquaforest. My calcium stays around 430 and alk around 7.

I don't like using sodium bicarbonate though which is what Aquaforest KH buffer is acordinary to their website. I prefer to use sodium carbonate to keep my PH up.

Back