aquamaxx ConeS CO 1 skimmer review

I just ordered a cone 1. Can't wait. 2-3 weeks md says I heard they are quite. That's why I ordered that. I have a hob1 on my nc and its built nice.

Guys,

here a list of similar skimmers.
Were would you rank the CO-1 in term of performance, noise, overall quality or/and durability?
is there better skimmer in the same category?

bubble magus curve 5
SWC 120 Cone
Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1*
Aquamaxx EM100
Sea Side aquatics ES5
Sea Side aquatics CS5.5
Cad lights TIA-1150

Guys,

here a list of similar skimmers.
Were would you rank the CO-1 in term of performance, noise, overall quality or/and durability?
is there better skimmer in the same category?

bubble magus curve 5
SWC 120 Cone
Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1*
Aquamaxx EM100
Sea Side aquatics ES5
Sea Side aquatics CS5.5
Cad lights TIA-1150

I've owned quite a few skimmers but of the ones on your list I can only comment on the SWC 120, ES5.5 and the CO 1.

The CO 1 smokes them all (sorry for the bias-LOL)!

The SWC has a poor neck transition with the gasket and uses an atman (unreliable-but quiet and built sturdy)

The ES5.5 runs at my LFS and I check it out every week. Works well for them but has some noise (not bad though). The 5.5 has a good proven pump and is built very well.

I've owned quite a few skimmers but of the ones on your list I can only comment on the SWC 120, ES5.5 and the CO 1.

The SWC has a poor neck transition with the gasket and uses an atman (unreliable-but quiet and built sturdy)

The ES5.5 runs at my LFS and I check it out every week. Works well for them but has some noise (not bad though). The 5.5 has a good proven pump and is built very well.

Too bad aquamaxx can't get their shipments out on time. I've been trying to buy one for a while now, I might just get a deltec.

Too bad aquamaxx can't get their shipments out on time. I've been trying to buy one for a while now, I might just get a deltec.

I hear ya! Deltecs are good skimmers but support and price have always been an issue for me.

I asked Larry at aquamaxx what the hold up has been and here's the latest reply

Hi Tivo,

Thank you for your reply. We are working with JNS to produce the skimmers. Assembly is overseas. We make some modifications to their design that will help the products perform better. All products are hand assembled with a high amount of care which is partially causing shortages in supply. We have very high standards for what we sell so the inspection and extra care is needed.

If there is anything else please let us know.

Looks like these will be coming over in limited batches for the foreseeable future unless things change. Bummer!

I hope there's enough to fill the orders. I placed mine about a week ago and keeping my fingers crossed. The timeline seems to be jumping back and forth. When I ordered it, it was at 2 weeks, then when I checked a few days ago it went up to 4-6 weeks, and now it's back down to 1-2.

I hope there's enough to fill the orders. I placed mine about a week ago and keeping my fingers crossed. The timeline seems to be jumping back and forth. When I ordered it, it was at 2 weeks, then when I checked a few days ago it went up to 4-6 weeks, and now it's back down to 1-2.
Hang in there. You'll be happy you waited. :)

Hi, Great thread

What would you suggest for a heavy bioloaded 90g mixed tank? The em200 or the Co1.

Best regards

Either would work well. The EM200 would give you more breathing room (so to speak) for growth since it processes more water.

Only issue with the new JNS skimmers/Aquamax skimmers is that they have not done much from the original JNS skimmer other than change the colour to white and add cones inside the skimmer plate.

Only issue with the new JNS skimmers/Aquamax skimmers is that they have not done much from the original JNS skimmer other than change the colour to white and add cones inside the skimmer plate.

correct!

They (coneS) are identical to the new JNS cone series (just re-branded).

The minor differences between the SK series and ConeS are the air silencer, cone bubble plate and the new needle wheels. Other than that they are pretty much the same with the exception of the CO 1 which has the unique slanted neck in the cup.

The matching of the new NW with the cones are the biggest difference (very effective)

Thank you Tivo for taking your time on this skimmer. I have been eyeing on this skimmer since June to replace my HOB skimmer.

The ES series of skimmers from SSA are very quiet, so I'm not sure why your LFS would have noise issues with it unless somethings wrong with the pump or setup. Did you mean CS5.5 by chance? ES skimmers use the sicce pumps which are pretty quiet.

On a side note, why doesn't the rest of the CO skimmers use the slanted cup design like the CO1 does? Seem's kind of random to me to only build the CO1 with that design and change the other two. Any thoughts or explanations on that would be cool.

Curious how much better this is than a XP1000sss? That bubble blaster makes the finest bubbles I've seen from a skimmer.

The ES series of skimmers from SSA are very quiet, so I'm not sure why your LFS would have noise issues with it unless somethings wrong with the pump or setup. Did you mean CS5.5 by chance? ES skimmers use the sicce pumps which are pretty quiet.

On a side note, why doesn't the rest of the CO skimmers use the slanted cup design like the CO1 does? Seem's kind of random to me to only build the CO1 with that design and change the other two. Any thoughts or explanations on that would be cool.

Oops, sorry!

Meant the CS5.5 and didnt notice I typed ES.

The 5.5 running at my LFS is more audible because it has significantly more vibration than the ConeS CO 1 and thats where the sound is coming from. This may be due to the SK400 or it may be due to the type of branched NW that SSA uses. It is not loud by any means, but it's definately not as quiet as the CO 1. FWIW, I've ran a sicce sk400 on my CO 1 and it was much louder (vibration wise) than the syncra 2.0.

regarding the slant in the cup of the CO 1; I've asked myself that too and I will only speculate that it is because of the larger jump in air numbers. the CO 1 pulls around 360 and then you jump to 700+. They may have tried the slant on the larger models and couldn't get them dialed in. Not sure though.

Back