Aquarium Photography

wesside

Ok, my ability to take photos of my tank is lackluster to say the least. If there is anybody out that there that wants to come show me how to take decent pics, I'll make sure you get fed properly. My current camera and lens is below. I know I need a 1:1 macro lens but I know I can improve my shots dramatically with my existing equipment.

Body: Nikon D3100
Lens: Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm

Thanks!

Start with playing with the white balance. Usually our tanks are so blue the cameras don't know what to do.

I find the manual white balance setting and then just aim the camera at the bluest part of the tank and set the manual white balance there. And the photos come out a little more accurate.

For the Macro photos, you will want a tripod and I use a remote shutter trigger. My hands aren't the steadiest.

Dave B

My tank is nowhere near a photography session, although I've seen some locally that are mind blowing. I wish I had photography skills.

On the Nikon camera I use setting A, and run the Aperture from 5.6 to 7.8 to get a better depth of field. I started with the 3100 and its shutter speed is a little slow so a tripod is a must. A 60mm Macro lens will give you better coral pictures, and a look down box allows top down shots for the best coral color. Turn the white balance to the highest settings. You can find good deals on used lenses on E bay to pick up a Macro it will net you better pictures. My tanks are lit with T5 and It puts out a very even light that in my opinion makes taking pictures easier, if you are all LED it is much tougher to get the colors you are looking for that are natural. A little post editing can shift the colors to a more natural look, or give it that high end pop you see many vendors using:) I use Aperture on the Mac, Photoshop is another good choice if you are PC. Post editing is a must unless you have mad camera skills. With the advice above take it with a grain of salt as it comes from a begginer. Play with settings and get a tripod for a start, I started with a N3100, but upgraded to a D7000 and found that I can take better pictures because of a much faster shutter speed. Here is a shot I took of my favorite coral at the moment. Rainbow Crush.

Play with settings and take many test photos and you will learn your equipment much quicker!

Last edited:
On the Nikon camera I use setting A, and run the Aperture from 5.6 to 7.8 to get a better depth of field. I started with the 3100 and its shutter speed is a little slow so a tripod is a must. A 60mm Macro lens will give you better coral pictures, and a look down box allows top down shots for the best coral color. Turn the white balance to the highest settings. You can find good deals on used lenses on E bay to pick up a Macro it will net you better pictures. My tanks are lit with T5 and It puts out a very even light that in my opinion makes taking pictures easier, if you are all LED it is much tougher to get the colors you are looking for that are natural. A little post editing can shift the colors to a more natural look, or give it that high end pop you see many vendors using:) I use Aperture on the Mac, Photoshop is another good choice if you are PC. Post editing is a must unless you have mad camera skills. With the advice above take it with a grain of salt as it comes from a begginer. Play with settings and get a tripod for a start, I started with a N3100, but upgraded to a D7000 and found that I can take better pictures because of a much faster shutter speed. Here is a shot I took of my favorite coral at the moment. Rainbow Crush.

Play with settings and take many test photos and you will learn your equipment much quicker!

I do have a tripod and I've taken a few pictures that were better than when I started, but nothing like the one you posted. It looks amazing. Here's a shot of my new Black & White Clowns. Not great, but not the worst picture I've ever taken. :spin1: Thanks for the advice everybody!

Attachments

• Clowns.JPG
    Clowns.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 0
Also, make sure the glass is clean and don't shoot at angles. If you shoot at an angle through the glass, the subject will always be out of focus.

Great reads by the way.

Thanks. It's hard to find good tips on reef photography but that's all I got. I think the most important thing is that you just practice and shoot as much as possible. When you're in shooting mode, don't be afraid to experiment and try different things, whether that would be modes or aperture,shutter, iso, WB, etc.

58b9c.jpg

Back