AquaStar Timer Control LED light - Can anyone shed some light?

Puffcrusader696

Green Spotted Puffer
So I've been looking at a permanent light fixture for my 20L nano-reef for some time and I've really been considering these 165w eBay lights:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281562860235?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know some people have used various eBay fixtures and what not but was wondering if anyone can shed some light on these fixtures on their quality and if they've gotten better over previous LED eBay lights. The reviews I've seen all seem to agree that they are good for the money and are actually quite good overall. I know it's not going to be anything like an Orphek fixture or something but for such a shallow tank as a 20L I think I could get away with an eBay fixture.

The goal for my tank is to be an LPS tank with select softies like zoas of course and maybe some ricordia and what not. Maybe even some SPS if everything thrives since that combination is pretty cool in a nano. But anyways"¦ with a shallow tank, I'm pretty sure that these lights will give me enough light penetration to have any kind of corals.

I was thinking of either hanging one higher above the tank lengthwise.. or just going for broke and getting two of them and hang them width wise and space them. I don't have a lot of room to work with above the tank so it would preferably be closer to the water. I think two would give me better light density and would leave less or no gaps versus one that may leave the corners darker. I dunno. I'm rambling by now but thanks for sticking with my thoughts.

Puffcrusader696, I purchased a set of these for my 75g reef with a variety of sps, lps, variety of softies and ricordia. All of the coral did well under these lights. The only issue I have is that the built-in timers are not accurate. Within a day I noticed that one light was turning on then off about 5 seconds before the other. After about 2 weeks the lights were about 1.5 minutes apart. Contacted vendor and had a second set of lights sent to me only to have the same issue. Now I have 4 of these assemblies that are not tracking time correctly. I really like the lighting and wanted the built-in timers, but the timers are not reliable. At this point, I've decided to return all 4 sets and order the version without built-in timer. It sucks cause I really wanted the programmable timer feature but. Very disappointed about that.

Back