Are 2 250 mh lights enough for standard 125 tank

davehos1

i HAVE A STANDARD 125 REEF WITH MAINLY SOFT CORALS AND LPS. MOST STRIPS FROM THE FACTORY HAVE THREE. IS THAT THIRD METAL HALIDE REALLY NESSASARY? THIS IS ALOT MORE ELECTRICITY IF NOT NEEDED.

My original thought was three 250w MH's over a 125g. I employ 2 250w MH's on a 90g 4 foot tank, most 125's are typically 6 feet. You could probably do it, with very low light shaded ends.

I've had best results with 1 250W per 2' of tank at 2' depth. If your tank has 2 center braces, 3 is the best solution. If you have only one center brace, then you might get by with 2 if you place them a little higher over the tank and stick with less demanding corals such as most LPS and softies. But for light hungry SPS, clams, and anemones - 3 would be much more ideal. JMTC & GL!

I run two 250s on my 125. The ends don't have as much light but they still get light. I have majority of my corals in the 4 foot center area. I put the corals which require less light on the ends. My tank is doing great. I don't see me every putting a third 250 in.

I just swapped out a 5 bulb MH (3 250w and 2 150w) which was having 'issues' with cheap bulbs (probably more a bulb issue than the fixture). I put in two 3' fixtures with 2 250w bulbs and 2 t5 in each fixture. The t5's are all actinic and the MH are 2 14k and 2 10k. The tank looks so much better now.

I run 3 x 250 (10k) and 2 x 150 (14k) on my 125 6 footer. I just set it up so I can't tell you how much I like it, but it looks nice.

I like ron's idea for an upgrade down the road...pondering spending more money already, the wife will kill me.

i HAVE A STANDARD 125 REEF WITH MAINLY SOFT CORALS AND LPS. MOST STRIPS FROM THE FACTORY HAVE THREE. IS THAT THIRD METAL HALIDE REALLY NESSASARY? THIS IS ALOT MORE ELECTRICITY IF NOT NEEDED.

I don't think you'll have a problem with just the two. A friend of mine had a 125 with two 175 watt halides above it and was a beautiful tank. (softies, LPS) You will have some shades areas but you just put the corals with a higher light demand up top under the lights and the ones who do not on the outskirts. Piece of cake.

Back