ATI Bubble Master Skimmer?

kaserpick

Keeping it Simple
Anybody using the ATI Bubble Master skimmers? I'm interested upgrading from my Euroreef RS-135; I was thinking of the ATI BM 200. Anyway, if anyone has any experience with these skimmers, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

I've been running the BM 250 for a year now and Im very happy with its performance. I run the stock meshwheel impellers which pull a lot of air, but when you restart the pumps you sometimes have to blow air in the venturi air line to help kickstart them.
Not that big a deal to me, some others disagree. The skim-mate mine pulls is on the wetter side, but its still some nasty thick gunk in the neck. (I only have 4 fish in about 200g system, all less than 3.5 inches too)

While i do like it, there are less expensive options around, But by no means to I regret the purchase.:)

i have the 160 model and really like it. first week you have to adjust but then it works like a charm. be sure to have a chamber in your sump that has the right height (deeper is better, can always lift it up)

I've had my 160 for about a year now, good skimmer, but definitely not a set and forget type of skimmer.... Only issue I take with it is the finniky Sedra pumps, I've had some issues on start up after a power outtage. Overall very efficient skimmer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14790622#post14790622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Brickyardpub
I've had my 160 for about a year now, good skimmer, but definitely not a set and forget type of skimmer.... Only issue I take with it is the finniky Sedra pumps, I've had some issues on start up after a power outtage. Overall very efficient skimmer.

Sedra pumps? Do they not use meshwheeled SICCE?

I have been using BM250 for past 2 years and very happy with its performance. The total volume on the system is around 250g. I just upgraded to a BM300 2 weeks ago and that is a monster compare to BM250. The pump restart is an issue at beginning but I kept trimming the mash until the pump starts freely.

That's a good idea Wayne! Did you notice any difference in the skimmer's performance when you trimmed the mesh wheel? Thanks for the input.

Stanlalee: The newer models are running the Sicce pumps.

I did not notice the change in performance.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14792119#post14792119 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kaserpick
That's a good idea Wayne! Did you notice any difference in the skimmer's performance when you trimmed the mesh wheel? Thanks for the input.

Stanlalee: The newer models are running the Sicce pumps.

Sorry to hijack but what hieght do you guys set your Skimmers at? I have the BM160 and recently only been getting light color skimmate and a little sludge in the neck. I have 4 chromis, 3 clowns, yellow and blue tang, christmas wrasse, engineer gobie in a 85 gallon. I also skim 24/7 so that may be why im not getting much gunk??

I have it set where the bubbles break half way up the collection cup neck. Just cleaned it out yesterday so hopefully performance gets a little better but wanted to see what kind of skimmate everyone else is getting and at what height.

Sorry again for the hijack.

my BM 160 sits in 24 cm of water (23 cm baffle-height in sump) - my conversion calculator makes 9.44 (9 inch baffle height)

i have my gatevalve almost closed, otherwise i would not get enough skimmate/ skimming would be too dry. i would advise you to keep your bubblemaster in almost 10 inches of water if you do not want to close the gatevalve too much, although that is no problem.

Yeah, the valve on mine is nearly closed as well. Sits in maybe 7" of water. Burnah, whats your skimmate production like? do you have a heavily stocked tank? Im thinking maybe because mine is not too stocked is the reason im not really getting anything??

i have a 50 gallon tank with 10 gallon sump, a wrasse and a watchman goby which are fed once a day. the skimmer is rated to 160 gallons so i would say im heavily understocked. i DO dose vodka though, but even before that i got quite some skimmate. it was not that dark though.

i get about a gallon of skimmate in a week.

i would say - dont worry, its definately not necessary to have dark slimy skimmate - i would rather say thats a good thing as you do not pollute your tank :) if you fed more/ had more fish, it would definately go darker..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14792290#post14792290 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mel-E-Mel
Sorry again for the hijack.

No worries, this was actually a question I wanted to ask. :) You're still on point as far as I'm concerned.

i heard 8-10 in was the best height for the bm160. i ran my 90 gallon with bm160 and it was set at 8 in. had a break in period and after that it worked great nasty skimmate dark and smelly but i fed alot because i got anthias.

upgraded to bm250 with a larger tank. about 190 gallon a little overskim but it is doing great.

I have been running a BM 250 for a bit over a year. I switched out the meshwheel impellers for pinwheel impellers which took care of the restart issues (I work away from home several weeks at a time) but the meshwheels really churned out the skimmate. After you do your research and find you are interested in a BM 250, PM me.

Im getting a BM 250 next week. I'm going to be running on a heavily stocked system with about 275g of water. I have a lot of chalices and sps. I do 25g water changes weekly and run the 2 part bacteria and carbon source. Is there anything I should look for when starting up etc? I never ran an insump skimmer before, so I'll probably be asking questions next week sometime. I like to skim sorta on the dryer side then a wet skim. I would still adjust the water level to do that correct?

Back