ATO recommendation

CafeReef

I am wanting to put in an ATO in my AIO tank, I will need to place it in the compartment where my return pump is because that is the area that the water level drops with evaporation.

My issue is this, the compartment is only 3"Dx4.5"Wx15"T (black plastic no glass). Ive been looking at the Hydor Smart Level because I can use any pump with it, and the sensor is still small enough for the space. But the issue is that It will probably only need a cup or two of water at a time for an ATO to keep it topped off due to the small space.

What solutions can you think of for me? I left for the weekend last week and it was bone dry after a few days, I want to be able to leave for 2 days and not worry about water level and the ATO would resolve this.

Hydor? What pump? Thanks!

I am running a Tunze Osmolator 3155, it's on the expensive side but it is a high quality product.

It is also very small, so it should fit your compartment.

I am running a Tunze Osmolator 3155, it's on the expensive side but it is a high quality product.

+1

esp for the precision that you are looking for tunzes usually only top off 3-4oz max at a time.

Also they have a back up shut off float in case the IR sensor fails (it doesn't), even then if the float switch fails or you forget to unplug the ATO when acclimating fish/ removing water. The metering pump it comes with will automatically shut off if its run for more than a few mins.

Its expensive, they do pop up on here used time to time, but get snatched up quick.
Worth every penny.

When I maintained aquariums professionally it was the only ATO I would trust, its also the only ATO I would ever use, esp if dosing kalk/ running ATO through a reactor.

I have experience with multiple (10+)units over the course of 8 years using them on clients systems, never had one let me down. In fact, one situation comes to mind where if I had any other brand rather than the tunze, this customers tank would have been nuked.

Squence pump had a seal fail, drained the sump and fried the pump, if it were not for the ATO being a tunze the tank would have been dosed with 30 gallons of kalkwasser. When I got there the tunze had shut its self down like it was supposed to, the tunze streams in the tank kept the O2 levels up
Basically, TUNZE products saved $15,000 worth of livestock in this case

Sorry for my rant, but I just love tunze products.

Last edited:

+1 on the Tunze. Tunze also makes a 3152 for nano set up that is a float switch set up and is fairly small. I prefer the 3155 because its main sensor is a optical one and has a float switch as a back up/emergency shut off.

I just installed a spectrapure uplc 2. I believe it's a step up from the tunze.
Very sensitive, and adds water nice and slow.

would the sensor/eye be impacted at all being in a dark environment? in my AIO setup, the container the waterfill will take place is black plastic and covered. Im limited to only really about 2.75" of space for the float to fit into from front to back so Im really hoping to find someone who has one to tell me it's only 2" or its 3" and I'd be screwed. etc. :)

thanks everyone, keep the advice coming!

Suction cups??? are they serious?? :uhoh2:

eeZzV2Q.jpg

Im sure we can debate all day which one is better, Im sure the spectra pure unit has cool features, but the fact they would even offer that product with suction cups is very unsettling.

PoB8FIK.jpg

This hobby was practically born in Germany and most of the best/ well built equipment made specifically for this hobby comes from Germany.

Thats my take on it, also does the spectrapure have the internal clock fail safe the tunze has?? Where if the pump runs for X amount of time the pump shuts off as a way to prevent OD when running KALK?

Last edited:
would the sensor/eye be impacted at all being in a dark environment? in my AIO setup, the container the waterfill will take place is black plastic and covered. Im limited to only really about 2.75" of space for the float to fit into from front to back so Im really hoping to find someone who has one to tell me it's only 2" or its 3" and I'd be screwed. etc. :)

thanks everyone, keep the advice coming!

The tunze is fine in pitch dark, and I have seen their sensors gunked to hell with hair algae/ calcium deposits and still operate perfectly.

You may need to get the nano if you go with the tunze which is just the float switch, however I am pretty sure the built in "timer" on the metering pump is still the same.

eeZzV2Q.jpg

Im sure we can debate all day which one is better, Im sure the spectra pure unit has cool features, but the fact they would even offer that product with suction cups is very unsettling.

PoB8FIK.jpg

This hobby was practically born in Germany and most of the best/ well built equipment made specifically for this hobby comes from Germany.

Thats my take on it, also does the spectrapure have the internal clock fail safe the tunze has?? Where if the pump runs for X amount of time the pump shuts off as a way to prevent OD when running KALK?

Not up for a debate. Yes the suction cups do suck, but you can't beat a peristaltic pump and the pressure sensor. Very precise. I have mine zip tied. It pumps 13 feet up and 20 foot over from my basement reservoir. Pumps at different speeds and has an emergency shutoff. Pressure based, nothing to hang up the pump.

I have nothing against the tunze was going to get one myself, just giving my opinion. I do believe the spectrapure is a better unit. Especially for a nano.

Last edited:
I have used both and the spectrapure has a better pump which makes it better for remote location of ato reservoir.

The optical eye from Tunze works fine in perfectly dark, it is build for that and you must avoid placing it in bright MH light (according to manual).

I would not get the nano, that is only a float sensor, the optical one is much more precise.
Sorry if i type bad english, I am from The Netherlands..

You are correct. It needs a clear surface for the eye to work. Great ATO though in my experience. Would recommend to anyone.

eeZzV2Q.jpg

PoB8FIK.jpg

I do agree with the comment with the suction cups, it is my least favorite part of the ATO but you can use a a little bit of silicone to secure the suction cup.

I have also seen a reefer use a reef safe magnet in place of the suction cup, but the peristaltic pump that is used is fully programmable and a higher quality pump that Tunze uses

A magnet such as a 2 Little Fishes veggie clip could be used

http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Litt...s-Two_Little_Fishies-TL50720-FIFDFECF-vi.html

Back