Auto topoff input please

kmk2307

Hey all,

I want to set up a reliable automatic topoff system for my 75 gallon reef tank. It would be nice if I didn't have to have a reservoir for fresh water. My tank has a sump and my RO/DI system is very close to the tank. I would prefer a solution that has two water level sensors so in case the water level gets too high, it will kill the flow of water into the tank. Also, I want to also be able to easily fill my carboy with water from my RO/DI when I need to do water changes. Can anyone give me suggestions? I need to get this set up and running reliably asap because I will be out of town for most of December and don't want my friends to have to come over every day to add water to my system.

Thanks!
Kevin

I say go with the ATO. I've had it for a while and it has never failed me. I would get the tunze if I had the money though

Autotopoff.com products have been very ggod to me for 15 months. Their float switch is solid built and their little solenoid valve is used to limit amount of time your ato line from filter is pressurized. Good products and good prices.

Its not a good idea to be running you ATO directly off your RODI. First and formost is because if something went wrong (and it will eventually) you would flood your tank with fresh water and put your tank at risk. The other reason is because having your RO turn off and on for 1 min (?) or less for your tank to top off is hard on your membrane and will decrease its life.
You really should consider running about a 5-10g reservior. Install a feed from your RODI to a float valve along with a shut off valve and your all set.
Concerning ATO's...Tunze all the way.

I've been using the double switch ATO from autotopoff.com and have been happy with it so far. Simple and relatively cheap.

I think it's unrealistic to setup a reliable ATO directly connected to a RO/DI unit before you leave. I would go for a large reservoir now (I will be using a 100g stock tank while I'm away this decemeber) and connecting the ATO unit to that.

I think you could do a reliable ATO that is connected to a RO/DI unit, but I would want to have it connected to a timer that only allowed ATO certain periods in the day, hopefully this would prevent it from flooding or constantly clicking on and off wearing out the membrane. I think this would require quite a bit of fine tuning to figure out how long to allow the ATO to run such that it cannot flood your house.

Its not a good idea to be running you ATO directly off your RODI. First and formost is because if something went wrong (and it will eventually) you would flood your tank with fresh water and put your tank at risk. The other reason is because having your RO turn off and on for 1 min (?) or less for your tank to top off is hard on your membrane and will decrease its life.
You really should consider running about a 5-10g reservior. Install a feed from your RODI to a float valve along with a shut off valve and your all set.
Concerning ATO's...Tunze all the way.

I run my ATO <same unit you have shown, from autotopoff.com w. solenoid> direct from RODI, via bladder tank, no adverse effects. The solenoid is fail to close, so if it becomes inoperable, it's in the close position, not open.

These solenoids are semi-industrial in nature......top off service is nothing severe.....cakewalk performance wise.

As far as membrane life decreasing, I don't think I could quantify any decrease in membrane life, percentage wise, due to running ATO direct. If there is a decrease, I am willing to accept it for the sake of convenience. My water still tests fine after 1 year.

I think the key here could be using a bladder tank as buffer between RO and tank. Been this way for 3+ years, never had a single issue.

I used this one for my tank top off. Works great :) and I LOVE the fact there is a fail safe switch on it.

I've been using the double switch ATO from autotopoff.com and have been happy with it so far. Simple and relatively cheap.

+1

I have mine set up with a solenoid valve on my Ro/DI hooked to a wide-angle float switch, so it only fills the reservoir when it drops below half. There is an anti siphon pinhole in my supply line from the pump just inside the reservoir after a near accident. It was drip siphoning through the pump.

I have been using the double float switch for about 2.5 years now. It has never failed me. I do remove it every 6 months and soak it in HOT water to ensure the float switch stays clean and working properly. Salt creep can build up and make it stick on or off if it is not cleaned every couple of months.

Brad

I'll mention the Tunze Osmolator. 8 years use with only having had to replace the pump after 6 years of use. I can't say enough good things about this and probably one of the most maintenance free items in my system.

Back