automatic water change

Just ordered a Stenner. Not concerned about the noise since it will be in a separate sump room. What did it for me us that it takes out exactly the same amount of water it puts back in. No calibration necessary. Simple, and effective. And cheaper than the Renew system which was my other choice. I don't like the liter meter because of the necessity to calibrate the two separate pumps to be sure you are pulling out as much as you put in.

Just ordered a Stenner. Not concerned about the noise since it will be in a separate sump room. What did it for me us that it takes out exactly the same amount of water it puts back in. No calibration necessary. Simple, and effective. And cheaper than the Renew system which was my other choice. I don't like the liter meter because of the necessity to calibrate the two separate pumps to be sure you are pulling out as much as you put in.

Please post a link to your build, would be interested to follow it.

Dr, now you and Matt have drawn me in. Im going to start planning this myself also.

Ide like to know more about pump options. My Apex sits in a closet behind my tank, many of you have seen it. I already have the plumbing to discard the water outside. So the pump will need to draw clean water from my garage, maybe 30 feet away, the waste will go from sump a few feet away and out my outdoor plumbing.

Pump options please.

I might take you up on that. I work up in Pompano so maybe after work one day.

There are a lot of things I'm planning on doing, so I don't know where this falls on my list of priorities.

Right now it seems to be getting the RO/DI system set up and running.
Tired of going to the LFS every other weekend to get water.
I always wind up buying something I can't afford right now.

Please post a link to your build, would be interested to follow it.

I'll be starting a build thread soon in the large tank forum. I've put so much time in the build, I haven't had much left to start the thread. Thanks for your interest.

bought mine from uswatersystems dot com. They had a closeout sale on a double head pump. Even though I bought it thru uswatersystems it was drop-shipped from the Stenner factory (in Jacksonville, fl) directly to my house. I'm assuming they have a deal with Stenner to help clear out overstocked items from time to time. Just checked, the listing is gone and they are now running "pre-thanksgiving" specials. The same pump "100dm4" is now $379! Guess I got a good deal ;)
Glad I saw your post last week in the Large Tank forum. I ordered one that day at the bargain basement price :)

Like you, I feel if I have a controller, why put a system in place that cannot be controlled by the master controller that everything else runs thru. I should get it sometime early this week and will post some impressions and the configuration to my build thread. I was looking at a single head Stenner for ATO, but not at those prices :bigeyes:

I'm glad you got in on that deal/steal!

Found a single head stenner on ebay for $100. Going to use that as my ATO from the garage once I get it.

Dr, now you and Matt have drawn me in. Im going to start planning this myself also.

Ide like to know more about pump options. My Apex sits in a closet behind my tank, many of you have seen it. I already have the plumbing to discard the water outside. So the pump will need to draw clean water from my garage, maybe 30 feet away, the waste will go from sump a few feet away and out my outdoor plumbing.

Pump options please.

So, to clarify, you want to pump the water from your garage to your tank for a daily water change? Can you run 1/4" tubing from your garage to your tank or the closet behind your tank?

DRThimpson how far of a run do you have? I think you said 35' and it goes up onto the attict? I have the same situation, but I'm not sure I'm going ti drain and fill simultaneously. For done reason I like to drain then fill, but I'm looking for a pump that can handle the head pressure from the garage floor to the ceiling (1 story)

DRThimpson how far of a run do you have? I think you said 35' and it goes up onto the attict? I have the same situation, but I'm not sure I'm going ti drain and fill simultaneously. For done reason I like to drain then fill, but I'm looking for a pump that can handle the head pressure from the garage floor to the ceiling (1 story)

All three (liter meter, stenner pumps, and masterflex/cole parmer pumps) will easily handle that head pressure.

My dual head stenner pump sits at the ceiling of my garage, approx 35' tubing run from my tank and 9' vertical above the sump, and is still able to pull the water from my sump! Stenner Specs say it can pull up to 25' vertically and push 60'+

Also, the HP stenner pumps are high pressure pumps meaning they can pump against up to 100psi of pressure. The HP pumps are designed to push chemicals into an active irrigation pipe or pool pipe(I bought regular pump which is rated to 25psi)

Last edited:
So, to clarify, you want to pump the water from your garage to your tank for a daily water change? Can you run 1/4" tubing from your garage to your tank or the closet behind your tank?

Yes. I saw your other reply with "head" specs so it likely can handle my demand easily.

Why did you get the 25psi, if 100 psi is same price?

Yes. I saw your other reply with "head" specs so it likely can handle my demand easily.

Why did you get the 25psi, if 100 psi is same price?

The deal was only for the model I bought, didn't give me a choice. Even though I bought it on "clearance" it was still drop-shipped directly from stenner. Anyway, the hp isn't really needed for our application. Can't tell you how impressed I am with these pumps.

The best price I've found lately is $319 free shipping for any of the dual head low pressure models. For the $300-400 price you can buy any of the three set ups I was comparing.

Eddie, you are welcome to stop by and look at it. I could have done the same thing with a used masterflex or liter meter. I think for the money any one of these three are a better option than the genesis renew product.

How often does the Stenner pump need service? I'm tired of calibrate and service the LMIII.

Stenner recommends to replace the tubing every 6-12 months depending on usage. I figure tubing should last at least a year with my usage. They supplied an extra set of tubing in the box so I'm good for at least 2 years. No priming or calibration required.

They publish a service manual you can download and there are a ton of videos showing easy things like how to replace the tubing to how to rebuild the motor. Nearly every part can be replaced on these pumps, you should never need to throw this pump out.

So basically, this specific type of pump takes the same amount of water out of your tank that it puts into your tank?

So basically, this specific type of pump takes the same amount of water out of your tank that it puts into your tank?

Yes, these dual head pumps use one motor to turn 2 heads at the same rate. I've been running it since Friday and it's changed out about 8 gallons. I checked my salinity again today and it hasn't budged. As long as I keep water in the 55gal barrel in my garage, this thing will keep changing 2 gal/day. I Suppose I could put in a float to stop it if the barrel runs dry.:hmm2:

Great write up.

Question:
Do you think its better to do 30 one gallon water changes a month vs. one 30 gallon?
I know it would create more stability, but would it take the same amount of nutrients out?

Back