automatic water change

On the Stenner, It's the tubing size that makes the difference. So order the 100gpd for instance and then order the 70gpd tubing and just swap it out. It's the same exact pump either way. If I remember right, I think the #5 tubing is 100gpd and the #4 tubing is 70gpd.

Hey guys. Great thread you guys have. I just hooked up my dual head 170DM5 with the pump taking out OSW from the first section of sump and bringing in NSW into the last/return section of the sump.

Today was the first time I did the AWC. I ran it for about an hour at max so I think I changed out 7 gallons. 150 gallon total volume.

So I ran into an issue. The water level increased while the pump was on. So this told me that the input of NSW was more than the output of OSW.

I definitely do not want this to happen everyday. I figured it was due to the #5 tubes being new and the pump still breaking in the tubes. Its a used pump i got off ebay.

The location of the pump is next to my sump with the barrels in the backyard. The tubing is 3/8th and pretty much same amount of tubing used for each head.

I'm not sure whats causing the pump to bring in more water than taking out. Sholdn't it be equal amounts in and out?

Thanks

Try swapping the tubes from pump to pump or try putting a valve on the NSW side and choke it down a little.

Try swapping the tubes from pump to pump or try putting a valve on the NSW side and choke it down a little.

You mean switching the polyethylene tubes? Ill try this. Maybe the head bringing in the NSW is a bit ahead of the head thats taking out. Hopefully if I switch the tubes, it'll even out.

Worst case scenario. it takes out more than it brings in lol.

If that happens then im going to put a valve on the NSW like u suggested.

Have you seen any other users with the same problem?

Thanks

You mean switching the polyethylene tubes? Ill try this. Maybe the head bringing in the NSW is a bit ahead of the head thats taking out. Hopefully if I switch the tubes, it'll even out.

Worst case scenario. it takes out more than it brings in lol.

If that happens then im going to put a valve on the NSW like u suggested.

Have you seen any other users with the same problem?

Thanks

Actually try swapping the pump tubing in the heads. also be sure that each is seated as closley as possible to the identical tension. Hopefully someone who's using the stenner wil chime in but I recall at the beginning of the thread this issue was observed by a few. The stenner is not going to be 100% accurate between heads (no pump head is for that matter, masterflex being the most accurate but still +/- up to 3%)

If you do go with using a valve to slow the faster line be sure to step up to a larger valve and you'll probably need something like a needle valve to get the fine tuning. Be very careful not to close it off too much or the back pressure will cause a blow out in the system somewhere. I would use a valve only as a last resort.

You might also try to add a coil of tubing to lines such that each pushing and each pulling side has the same length of poly tubing, this may help out a lot since it sounds like you have long runs on only one side from NSW bin and back to drain, with short runs between pump and your sump.

I have sterner and when I replace the tubes I let the pump run for all day just recycling water, my hose are same length , At first it will do that, but in my system it short term until tubes break in..

I have sterner and when I replace the tubes I let the pump run for all day just recycling water, my hose are same length , At first it will do that, but in my system it short term until tubes break in..

Great idea! I'm gonnna try this! Much appreciated! I ran the pump again today for 30 minutes..and the level stayed the same! Maybe your concept is right, the tubes just needed to be broken in. Im still gonna take it out and run it all day hahah.

Thanks!

Great idea! I'm gonnna try this! Much appreciated! I ran the pump again today for 30 minutes..and the level stayed the same! Maybe your concept is right, the tubes just needed to be broken in. Im still gonna take it out and run it all day hahah.

Thanks!

If you go in a few pages after the beginning I demonstrated difference as well, but when the math was over and done with it was insignificant. Not saying this is your case but please read it.

So I just finished reading this entire thread. Gotta say, there is a ton of good information in here. With that said, I still think I'm undecided on which way to go for my particular setup. I have an Apex, so I'd like to use the DOS, but I'm worried about some of the siphon issues I've read about. I definitely like the simplicity of the Stenner pump, but want to make sure that my set up won't make it hard to get the calibration down due to different tubing lengths.

I'm going to have the water mix/change station in the basement more or less below the tank so ASW and drain will both be there. Pump would ideally be located with the station to limit noise. Total system volume would be around 100 gallons.

It sounds like putting the DOS below the sump can create a serious siphon problem if something goes wrong. I could limit the damage by keeping the drain hose shallow in the sump, but I'd rather not have to worry about it.

With the Stenner option, are the different lengths of tubing going to force me to use valves to equalize the flow? I've read that the difference can be negligible, but I'm not sure of what causes the difference and if my setup would tolerate it.

What fail safes do you all have in place besides a float switch in the ASW container?

I have changed from the LM3, to Stenner, to DOS, and I believe the only siphon issues reported on the DOS were on the first 5,000 made, which has been recalled. I had one and received the new pump heads for it. I have never had a siphon issue, and it is extremely precise. Although I don't have height extremes in my AWC system from my NSW to the DT.
Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I just finished reading this entire thread. Gotta say, there is a ton of good information in here. With that said, I still think I'm undecided on which way to go for my particular setup. I have an Apex, so I'd like to use the DOS, but I'm worried about some of the siphon issues I've read about. I definitely like the simplicity of the Stenner pump, but want to make sure that my set up won't make it hard to get the calibration down due to different tubing lengths.

I'm going to have the water mix/change station in the basement more or less below the tank so ASW and drain will both be there. Pump would ideally be located with the station to limit noise. Total system volume would be around 100 gallons.

It sounds like putting the DOS below the sump can create a serious siphon problem if something goes wrong. I could limit the damage by keeping the drain hose shallow in the sump, but I'd rather not have to worry about it.

With the Stenner option, are the different lengths of tubing going to force me to use valves to equalize the flow? I've read that the difference can be negligible, but I'm not sure of what causes the difference and if my setup would tolerate it.

What fail safes do you all have in place besides a float switch in the ASW container?

There are a lot of options. If you are dealing with a long distance run, and have a big climb in height to make, you might want to make sure that you research of how far which unit can go.

Plastic heads have a tendency to not last as long as metal, and the tubing for different units also last longer than others. Some companies goals are to make sure that they build stuff that lasts longer and works better than others.

Hey btw those Miami Heat last night looked on point. Lu'ol Deng was on fire. Wade looked like he was 10 years ago. It was an excited group to watch.

Jeremy

BlurrVT- If you read my posts in the first few pages you will see I had a difference. I use a Stenner with APEX. My run from Fresh SaltWater to sump is ~20-30 feet haven't measured. Drain is much less, like 3-4 feet. I found the difference neglijable.

The folks at Spectrapure then kindly donated a LiterMeter III for me to try. I had it on and reported my findings after a month or 2. The calibration process they have on the pump allowed no difference going in or out. We then gave it away at a raffle for our club.

I've not tried the DOS or know much about it.

Each pump has their advantages and disadvantages. That being said, Spectrapure and DOS are made specifically for aquariums and both have excellent customer service. The LM3 comes with an awesome warranty, don't know about the DOS. The Stenner is a workhorse pump used mainly for commercial applications.

Good luck in your decision... BUT the ultimate goal, AWC, you will not regret.

The stock tubing it comes with is fine. If you buy new they give you an additional tubing. I'm at 2 years and haven't changed yet. This is a commercial grade pump and tubing. I run it for 2 hours a day to change 3 gallons per day, so no need to worry about tubing for a while.

Only reason i ask, im buying it brand new and gave me 2 Options Of the internal lines i Believe it is. Since this thread has been up a while, is the stenner still one of the better ones or are there better one or Competing ones with the same price tag or cheaper?

Well nevermind on the material part, looked at the website and they had a list with sea water being on of them, said it has no Negative effect to either one of the materials. But on the other hand still, anything better or better with putting back what its pulling out or just anything better about any other pump around the same price?? Ill have it setup from a closet behind my fish tank so it will travel a good 6-8 ft and im just going to run my waste water out the window in the closet onto the roof into the gutter lol. Its "getto" Some people would call it but i dont have a drain anywhere close. But with that much distance of travel should i be ok? should i also cut the lines the same Length or would that Not matter. What gph should i get? Have a 75gal with a 90g system i would say, plan to do a gallon a day water change. Sorry for all the questions but I would greatly appreciate someone to answer them.
Happy Reefing
Jeff

im just going to run my waste water out the window in the closet onto the roof into the gutter

Too much salt will kill plants, so depending on how much salt water you're draining and where the end of your gutter is, it may kill the grass or plants around it.

Back