automatic water change

First I've heard of "grey beard". They don't appear to be dual head designs...I thought the whole clamor for the Stenner pumps was that they are a dual head design that pretty much guarantees equal in/out amounts when running? Do they rely on floats for volume in/out accuracy?

Jeremy's suggestions mentions most of your better options.

Stenners when new come with everything you need, except the timer. They ones mentioned here in this thread are dual head, BUT the words "guarantee equal amount in/out" is not accurate. Mine has a slight deviation, but has not affected the overall performance or outcome for the since i plugged it in in Dec 2013. other friends of mine the use it have not have deviations, or at least maybe not tested like I did (see beginning of thread). The size you need will depend on how much yopu want to change. Keep in mind that when a dual head stenner says 100 gallons per day its 50 gpd per head.

The Litermeter from spectrapure has a calibration that is done when hooked up that will compensate for any differences per head. Dont know about the DOS.

A lot of them are running a dual pump stenner. If you look back a few pages you can probably find what model. I think zachts is running a triple one. I bet Eddie could help you out with that.

Jeremy

The Litermeter from spectrapure has a calibration that is done when hooked up that will compensate for any differences per head. Dont know about the DOS.

I'm using the DOS and it also allows you to calibrate the heads so they should match. Neptune also claims that since the DOS uses stepper motors that it should stay calibrated longer than other dosing pumps. No idea how accurate that claim is.

That said, I'm not sure that things being off slightly is really that terrible. Salinity will always fluctuate a little bit as the skimmer takes out salt and we take out salt water for testing an even on our hands and arms as we perform maintenance on the tank. The pumps being off by a couple of ml a day is probably not really noticeable.

As discussed earlier in this thread I've started using the DOS in conjunction with the conductivity probe to compensate for drifting salinity. I've only been doing it for about two weeks now, but it seems to be working well.

Considering an auto setup.

What's the startup cost for these?

Thanks

I've got about $200 and change in mine including containers stand and controls. completely DIY with some lucky finds on the pumps. not counting the time and testing to build it before letting it run unattended. So if your time is valuable an off the shelf ready to go and warranted setup is really not a bad deal, on the other hand if you like DIY it's a really fun project and one of the best things you'll ever build for your system!!!!!!!!!

A lot of them are running a dual pump stenner. If you look back a few pages you can probably find what model. I think zachts is running a triple one. I bet Eddie could help you out with that.

Jeremy

Yep. three cole parmer heads on a industrial motor I snagged off ebay for a heck of a deal, arguably the best pump heads out there. details are posted in the tread in a few places if you search for it. never did a full build write up on the controls but most of the details and basic wiring diagrams are on here somewhere earlier in the thread. Pretty low tech, just a timer and a series of floats, relays and a switch to monitor reservoir levels and perform fail safe functions and switch between mix and water change modes.

That said, I'm not sure that things being off slightly is really that terrible. Salinity will always fluctuate a little bit as the skimmer takes out salt and we take out salt water for testing an even on our hands and arms as we perform maintenance on the tank. The pumps being off by a couple of ml a day is probably not really noticeable.

it can be advantageous to have the new SW head pump a little faster to make up for water removed by a skimmer. In my case it worked out to about a gallon a month difference (purposefully) which is about what my skimmer pulls and has been working flawlessly since I fired it up with no detectable salinity shifts.

I've got about $200 and change in mine including containers stand and controls. completely DIY with some lucky finds on the pumps. not counting the time and testing to build it before letting it run unattended. So if your time is valuable an off the shelf ready to go and warranted setup is really not a bad deal, on the other hand if you like DIY it's a really fun project and one of the best things you'll ever build for your system!!!!!!!!!
Wow that's cheap. What the cost breakdown look like?

Wow that's cheap. What the cost breakdown look like?

I think I posted it earlier, assuming my memory is working, but this thread's getting pretty long.......Parts are cheap when DIY'ing. It's the time that adds up, of course that's the fun part for me.......

I think I posted it earlier, assuming my memory is working, but this thread's getting pretty long.......Parts are cheap when DIY'ing. It's the time that adds up, of course that's the fun part for me.......
Seems like the pump is the price killer to me...

Stenners are in the $250+ range as are the Litermeter from Spectrapure.

While Zachs approach is admirable and "fun" its hard to come by. and if your not a DIY person...........

Stenners are in the $250+ range as are the Litermeter from Spectrapure.

While Zachs approach is admirable and "fun" its hard to come by. and if your not a DIY person...........

I will say I'd never have done it if not for reading this thread. It inspired me to spend countless hours scouring the internet (mostly ebay) for a suitable pump for a rock bottom price. What ever the method the end result of automated water changes is one of the best investments you can make for the maintenance and stability of a reef, and I think most of the other contributors to the tread would agree.

Have my DOS now all setup on my 180 gallon. However right now the old water is going into a jug. I must of had a dumb moment 6 months ago when i pre ran my lines from mixing station in the garage through the attic.

I ran a blue line from my RODI tank to top of my RODI tank in fish room. Ran a red line from the salt tank to the fish room. Did not run a red line for the old saltwater to a drain. This was a real pain in the butt running these and now i have to run one more.

Cause i ran these lines inside of PVC pipe in case it leaked it would drip in the garage or the fish room and not through the ceiling.

How are you liking the DOS for auto water changes thus far? Also, how much are you changing daily?

I think it works great. I am only changing two gallons per day still. However i did run that last line so now old water goes down the drain.

I think it works great. I am only changing two gallons per day still. However i did run that last line so now old water goes down the drain.

Are you seeing any improvements in tank stability using this method? I've read the thread, and like everything else, there is one positive and one negative. It seems like a great method to me and I cannot wait to implement it.

Are you seeing any improvements in tank stability using this method? I've read the thread, and like everything else, there is one positive and one negative. It seems like a great method to me and I cannot wait to implement it.

There is more to stability then WC's IMHO. Nutrients, 2 part or CaRx, Kalk, etc... But knowing your water changes are being done constantly is a huge relief both on your back and knowing the tank is renewing itself by import and export of old water with new .

There is more to stability then WC's IMHO. Nutrients, 2 part or CaRx, Kalk, etc... But knowing your water changes are being done constantly is a huge relief both on your back and knowing the tank is renewing itself by import and export of old water with new .

I like the idea myself, as I am sick of lugging jugs, and so forth.

I like the idea myself, as I am sick of lugging jugs, and so forth.

Its not for everyone and I know its hard, but when you look at the investment being less than $300, we spend that on fish and corals all the time. Making your waterchanges easier is well worth the money.

Its not for everyone and I know its hard, but when you look at the investment being less than $300, we spend that on fish and corals all the time. Making your waterchanges easier is well worth the money.

I hear ya, I've been lugging jugs for close to 20 years and it's getting old. I had hoped my boys, or wife would get interested in the hobby, and help with the chores but they never did. Automation is key for me now, as I want to spend more time looking at the tank, and less time doing maintenance.

I will say I'd never have done it if not for reading this thread. It inspired me to spend countless hours scouring the internet (mostly ebay) for a suitable pump for a rock bottom price. What ever the method the end result of automated water changes is one of the best investments you can make for the maintenance and stability of a reef, and I think most of the other contributors to the tread would agree.

The thing about time is that it is not renewable like money. Time is precious and important. I with Eddie agree that your approach is admirable, but guys like me do not have that kind of time to devote. We are all on borrowed time, and we do not know what kind of time that we have to be borrowed.

Jeremy

Back