Back again, any more ideas, or should I just tap out?

I see you have changed many things over the years to see what works and what doesn't. Corals don't like change, just something as simple as changing the lights to a different spectrum could stun the growth for a month. I wouldn't ever do a 90% water change unless something was really bad. Get everything set where you want it and go a few months without changing anything.

Just my 2¢ but the best advice i ever received in this hobby is this problems don't happen quickly with chemistry they happen slowly, and solutions to those problems often work slowly maybe by the time your fixing one another shows up, I also noticed your not adding supplements like calicum stromimun iodioe etc they are not required but do make growth happen much faster.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I do understand things take time, but, as i've stated, this is years in the making. I can't make a change, and wait a year to see it did anything, or my corals would be in the same shape! I don't make changes every week, I usually wait at least a month before trying other stuff. Shouldn't I see some change by then? I mean nothing has grown in years! So I'm still taking small steps at a time to see if ANYTHING helps.

Hope to not come off as rude, I'm nothing of the sort, just VERY frustrated, ready to quit, but don't want to. Just don't understand when people say this takes time, I completely understand that, but years with NOTHING? So far I've been trying everything you guys have suggested.

ie- supplements, no supplements, kalk, no kalk, feeding corals, no feeding, carbon, GFO, both together, neither, more WC, less WC, more testing, fresh air injection, different salt, different lights, new bulbs, more light, less light(which is where I'm at now), checked stray voltage, better test kits, etc. What could I be missing, aside from the less intense lighting, and monitoring ALK daily, which I've been doing the testing for weeks now...............

And I believe I have all simple corals right? Except the montipora, which is not so well. How many on here can't grow GSP, trumpets, colt coral, blue cloves, frogspawn, palys, shrooms, nephthea, coralline, etc??????

as requested. sad GSP, unsaveable montipora? Keep forgetting to shoot the pineapple tree, but not much to see!!!!

Attachments

• top down 4-10-16.jpg
    top down 4-10-16.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • sad gsp 4-10-16.jpg
    sad gsp 4-10-16.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 0
  • fts 4-10-16.jpg
    fts 4-10-16.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 0
little pineapple tree is about 2 1/2 years old? Same size. Blue clove polyps since last June. Same size

Attachments

• neon pineapple tree.jpg
    neon pineapple tree.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
  • blue clove 4-10-16.jpg
    blue clove 4-10-16.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
I would have to agree, hope it keeps getting better...........What's your theory on the other 'nuissance' stuff? Colt, kenya, gsp, clove. Hope it's all light related???!!!

Trust me when I tell you, you don't want that blue clove polyp to start growing......

Mine in a year has overgrown my tank so bad, that none of the rocks in my biocube are making their way into my new tank.

And not to keep telling you to slow down, but the biggest key to success in his hobby, is stability IMO. Even if your numbers are high or low, as long as they stay consistently high or low, it's still better then wild fluctuations.

Well I think the trumpet is the "hardest" coral you have to keep, so if we can make it happy everything else should fall in line.

ha, I know what you mean about the cloves or GSP overtaking, I'd LOVE to have to worry about that right about now though!!!!!!!

so I mixed up a gal of randys recipe for alk in a 1 gal jug, but at 5ml a time it's gonna last a while!!!!

How long will it be good in the jug?

My 2 cents if it helps....I've never bothered with PH and Alk. Once I knew the PH of my R/O water, things pretty much stay the same all the time. Light has been the biggest change for me. New bulbs vs Old bulbs and changing the length of light in a day. I have an abundance of Kenya and the green polyp I see in your picture. I would highly suggest isolating the polyp to a single rock because once things start growing, it will take over every rocky surface. The kenya will do the same thing. I've had two mass "mowings" in the last two years where I just clean ripped out half my kenya coral. That stuff goes crazy. Good luck!

One more add "Switched from Reef Crystals to Red Sea Coral Pro. No difference"..... I use Reef Crystals and love it. Everyone has an opinion on the best to use, but I've had success with this brand. I actually had a situation where my calcium was too high from water changes so I now use both Reef Crystals and their regular one that has less calcium "instant ocean" I think it's called.

thanks for your 2 cents gigamanx!!! 'IF' things start growing, I'll def. move the GSP, and/or put them back in the 90gal. Guess we'll see, but my kenya tree has been that size for over 2 years now:(.

I had used reef crystals since the beginning, maybe 3 or 4 years now, but it was suggested I try something different, so I went with the RSCP hoping for something, but as always, nothing:(

Ok, update. 3 days dosing the randy recipe for alk at 5ml a day. Alk 10, calcium 420, mag 1290. Question now is, what next? Keep dosing? Check everyday or every 2 days?

Back