Back in the saddle . . . again!

markfsanderson

Greetings All! After about a 5 year absence, I'm getting back into keeping Saltwater Fish and Coral. My wife of 3 years initially was opposed to keeping fish, but once she saw how beautiful saltwater reefs can be she now approves. I used to run a JBJ (12 or 14 gallon?) Nano aquarium; and in the early 2000's I had a 125 Gallon Malawi Tank for a couple of years. I hope to have both another large Malwai and Fish/Reef tank in the future.
I just recently purchased a Coralife BioCube 29 and its supporting stand kit as well. My hope is to keep a couple of clown fish bonded to an anemone, some LPS coral, and perhaps some other fish/invertebrates that might get along well. Since it's been a while, and perhaps new techniques have emerged; I've some questions about starting this aquarium:

1) Cycling: What would be the most 'preferred' method these days? Cycle with live rock and live sand? Only Live Rock? Since live rock and sand is expensive, and I'm patient - what is the minimally effective ratio of live/dead rock and live/dead sand that I can use for a complete cycle in 45 to 60 days? I'm confused by the various theories put forth - change water, don't change water in the first 30 days and on and on. Should I use some clear ammonia during the cycling? Will the LR/LS do all thats needed in the 45 to 60 days?

2) Heater: Should I buy a heater for the initial cycling? I'm assuming that a Eheim/Hagen 150 is suitable and is off quality these days? Are they still made in Germany?

3) I still have some old Eheim substrat ceramic/scintered glass thats supposed to have a good ability to hold a large bacteria colony. Can I safely boil this and add this to my filter before starting the cycle in lieu of the bioballs that are there? I'm not 'anti-bioballs' by any stretch, but it seems like this would do better than the bioballs to me.

Just for fun I photographed my build of the stand; of which I have mixed feelings about. Still trying to figure out why the doors are square . . . more on that as I learn more.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated . . .

Thanks!
Mark :beer:

First Welcome back and love that song. Saw them play it for the first time live in Phili. On to your questions

1. You want to cycle with both rock and sand. I started with Both Live rock and Live Sand. If you go with live rock make sure you get premium good quality stuff. I got my LR from Live aquaria. I got this http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=393+397&pcatid=397

Really happy with it. As for sand, thats up to your taste, flow, etc. from what i can tell from what i read, avoid oolite. But go ahead and get live sand.

2. Yes, you will need a heater for the cycle. Are you doing it in trash cans? or in your DT/sump?

3. I have no educated advice. I would toss it/ save it for my FW tank but would never use it on my Reef. Use a proper sump/refugium.

There are links at the top for research when starting. Read those, google. read some more, check out youtube. I kept FW fish for over 18 yrs and did 3 yrs research before starting SW. All those 18 yrs seriously did nothing. Its a whole new world.

Best o luck

Oh, and if you can. Save for LED Lights, im in year two on a 75g and im in $300 for my T5 fixture and $240 for the bulb replacements. In the next 12 mo LED setup pays for itself

First Welcome back and love that song. Saw them play it for the first time live in Phili. On to your questions

Toys in the attic tour?

1. You want to cycle with both rock and sand. I started with Both Live rock and Live Sand. If you go with live rock make sure you get premium good quality stuff. I got my LR from Live aquaria. I got this http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=393+397&pcatid=397

Sounds like great advice - I'll do that. Can I use some 'dead rock'/holey rock w/the LR to save some money? Or just keep it 100% LR?

Really happy with it. As for sand, thats up to your taste, flow, etc. from what i can tell from what i read, avoid oolite. But go ahead and get live sand.

100% LS? or can I mix it?

2. Yes, you will need a heater for the cycle. Are you doing it in trash cans? or in your DT/sump?

3. I have no educated advice. I would toss it/ save it for my FW tank but would never use it on my Reef. Use a proper sump/refugium.

I've heard that using crushed LR in mesh bags is a good replacement for the bioballs that come with the tank . . .any thoughts?

There are links at the top for research when starting. Read those, google. read some more, check out youtube. I kept FW fish for over 18 yrs and did 3 yrs research before starting SW. All those 18 yrs seriously did nothing. Its a whole new world.

Thanks, just after I posted this I 'rediscovered' the 'Noobs, read this first section'. Lots of great information here . . .

Best o luck

Oh, and if you can. Save for LED Lights, im in year two on a 75g and im in $300 for my T5 fixture and $240 for the bulb replacements. In the next 12 mo LED setup pays for itself

Yup, doing some research on them . . . that will be some time in the future. It seems like there are some folks recommended both T5 and LEDs be used at the same time to ensure proper SPS growth . . . or something like that.

Thanks Again!

Back