Battery Back-up Your Reef

shiveley

I have a unit that I never got around to using that I can let go for a pretty reasonable price:

APC Back-UPS® RS (DL1000VNT) UPS System

A0597394.jpg

APC DL1000VNT UPS Battery Backup
The APC® Back-UPS® RS 1000 VA, 120 V UPS provides ideal battery backup and protection for business computers. This unit offers 6 battery backup outlets with automatic voltage regulation (AVR) that enable you to work through even the most frequent brownouts and power sags. It also offers two additional outlets that provide surge protection for printers and other devices that do not store or process information. The UPS features Coax, Ethernet 10/100BaseT and Telephone surge protection, protecting connected equipment from power surges through data lines. With all these features and more, the Back-UPS® RS 1000 VA, 120 V UPS is a high performance desktop battery backup that features maximum protection in a versatile design.

It retails for $125, I'll let it go for $50 (it's brand new, and has never been used).

Really nice deal on a unit that size especially if it's never been used! I know for a fact that's significantly below cost and a great deal on a system that should give you a good amount of time on a few powerheads!

yes, I plugged the unit in on Friday but never hooked anything up to it...so they are charged. it's still plugged in as of today, but nothing else is attached. I was contemplating using it on my new tank, but I have a generator backup so I didn't seem necessary.

I may need this for a certian Schoool Project with an actual computer. How long would this power the average home computer and 19" LCD Monitor?

really!?!? killing me! will it work for a returhn pump as a back up? how long will it last?

i honestly couldn't tell you, as I never used it and have no experience with using these things for reef purposes. maybe someone else here can chime in with an answer, the specs say: Power Provided 600 Watt / 1000 VA; so I guess you could roughly divide that by your pumps power rating to get a general idea...

sure Doahh, rob1991 needs to double check with his financial advisers (parents) first to make sure he isn't overextended (grounded) and will get back to me by this evening. If he passes, then you're next in line.

I have an apc 1300va. I can run a 40 watt pump for about 2 hours on it (this is what the display tells me, it is probably less).

You can't use volt-amp to determine how long something will run. volt-amp will only tell you how much stuff you can hook up to the battery. volt x amp = watts. I wish UPS vendors would put the amp hour rating on their UPS'es. According to the UPS specs, the DL1000VNT uses the RBC5. The RBC5 has 7.2 AH.

Lets assume your pump uses 60 watts/hr and your power is 120volts.

Watts = volt x amps . So amps = watt/volts. In our case, it would be 60watts / 120volts = 0.5amps.

To find "theoretically" how long it would run, take your battery amp hours and divide by the amps your device uses. So in this case 7.2amp*hr^-1/0.5amp = 14.4 hours.

But realistically, your UPS uses up some power as well, so the conversion isn't correct either. And of course they don't list that info anywhere, so the calculation means absolutely nothing.

So now you're back to going to the manufacture's webpage to figure out how long a device should last on their UPS under ideal condition. But based on my experiences with UPS vendors - they always over rate their UPS.

BTW - just for comparison. This particular UPS has 7AH. A typical deep cycle batter has about 100-120AH. A 6volt golf cart batter has about 200AH. The battery capacity of UPS batteries are pretty low. On top of that - most consumer grade UPS use SLA (seal lead acid) batteries that are not up to taking any sort of abuses. I been looking for UPS's that use AGM (absorded glass matt) technology - which are design to take abuse. We usually stop trusting our UPS battery after two years, and replace them every three years. AGM or flooded cell batteries can last much longer.

Also forget calling the UPS manufacturer. Unless you're lucky, the tech staff usually aren't very helpful - probably because they don't have the info you need to do the calculation.

umm. as i read that i first thought "wow, that's useful information", but then it went on to say that the information related was "meaningless", and so I thought, okay then why write it...and then it moved on to discuss battery composition, which ultimately led me to believe that the author just had too much time on his hands....

I kid...Refugee obviously is a much better resource with regard to these things than me, as I've only ever used one at work, and I have never personally even seen that one... So, the long and short of it...you won't know how long it will work with your system until you try it out yourself.

shiveley, sorry I'll pass...... but I already see that I got passed up anyways. lol. it's cool, I think rob needs it a lot more than me anyways.
These things work great, I have one already (running my tunzes), I just wanted another to back up my return pump/skimmer pump.

Mines is the 1500 model, and it can run 4x tunze 6101s for at least half day, that's where I stopped testing cuss i had to go do something.

SPECIFICATIONS
Item DL1000VNT
Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) +12% (Boost Only)
On-line Frequency Range 57 to 63 Hz (Autosensing)
On-battery Waveshape Stepped Sine Wave
Maximum Load 1000 VA - 600 W
Typical Recharge Time 16 Hours
Typical Run Time 30-45 minutes
Size (H x W x D) 8.7 in x 5.1 in x 13.8 in
220 mm x 130 mm x 350 mm
Weight 22 lbs (10 kg)

Back