Saltwater Multi-Pack
Mysis Shrimp
Freshwater Multi-Pack
Plankton
Beefheart
Omega Brine Shrimp

All Sally's SF Bay Brand

My fish eat better than I do. :lol:

i use gamma blister, brineshrimp + garlic its an enriched formular and my 2 little fish and shrimps love it, dont know if its for sale outside the uk though

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12257637#post12257637 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
my god that is HUGE... lol...

Are you talking about the picture you posted or Carmella ? :lol:

Why does everyone use brine shrinp. From the nutritional analysis I've looked at mysis way outperforms brine. I really like the Hikari angel food. It takes some time for the fish to get use to it, but once they do they love it. If you really want an all in one food NLS pellets are your best bet. I usually throw some in a couple times a day. Almost all my butterflies like it. I think that making your own food is ideal if you have time.

Carmella. If that is Carmella in the avatar, who cares about Rod's food (although I do use it)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12259109#post12259109 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Saltwater Multi-Pack

Oh, I forgot about this one in my analysis above, it's been so long since I used it. I did NOT like it. It was 4 types of cubes in one tray. Three of them are probably "Emerald Entree", "Marine Cuisine", and brine, which you can all buy whole individual packs of. The fourth type of cube was LARGE pieces of squid or something (white), nothing in my tank would eat it. This was a few years ago, maybe they've made some changes.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12259367#post12259367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenmonkey51
Why does everyone use brine shrinp. From the nutritional analysis I've looked at mysis way outperforms brine.

The nutritional analysis of fruit salad outperforms cake, but sometimes I eat cake anyway.

Basically, as you can see in my first post on the subject, I am mixing the brine in with a ton of other foods. Anything one food has too much or too little of quickly becomes irrelevant when feeding such a large variety.

I feed brine because it seems to be the perfect size for every fish, and EVERYONE eats it. It is also commonly available as "spirulina enriched", which makes it more nutritous.

If you really want an all in one food NLS pellets are your best bet.

I will agree that I do like NLS pellets (I still wouldnt call them all-in-one though), but the thread is about frozen foods. Many fish wont eat pellets... my anthias take them intermittently at best, and forget the copperband taking them...

I think that making your own food is ideal if you have time.

('m not picking on you, I swear :p )

But since you brought it up.... I add "homemade blender mush to my DONT LIKE list.

Maybe 2 years ago I went to the local asian market, spent $70 on a huge variety of items... long story short, ended up throwing everything away. The consistency of the mixture was terrible. It ended up being a liquid with a few large chunks floating around in it. Every single piece was either too small or too large. Nothing in my tank ate it.

If I were to ever do it again, I would prepare smaller batches and I would not use a blender. I would use one of those small units that you push the top down and it chops then rotates the blades. This way I could mince filets or shrimp to the exact size pieces I want.

Frozen foods you buy are already the correct (perfect) particle size and everything gets eaten.

Theres a lot of good information here.
I forgot to mention whatever I use has to be accessible at the LFS. They carry Hikari, Ocean Nutrition and San Francisco Bay products. I won't pay $20 to ship $5 worth of food the fish may not eat. R

Last edited:
Go with Hikari or Ocean Nutrition. San Francisco Bay is the lowest on the ladder.

Look at the nutrition info on the package. SF Bay will have protien content in the 3-6% range. To put that in perspective, PE Mysis has a protein content of 69%.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12263213#post12263213 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
Go with Hikari or Ocean Nutrition. San Francisco Bay is the lowest on the ladder.

Look at the nutrition info on the package. SF Bay will have protien content in the 3-6% range. To put that in perspective, PE Mysis has a protein content of 69%.

I tried to tell my fish that , but, they keep eating the SF Bay. My Harlequin Sweetlips is going on 6 years old and my Picasso Trigger about the same. They look pretty healthy to me. :D

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you really want an all in one food NLS pellets are your best bet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excuse me but what are NLS Pellets??
R

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12265473#post12265473 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
I tried to tell my fish that , but, they keep eating the SF Bay. My Harlequin Sweetlips is going on 6 years old and my Picasso Trigger about the same. They look pretty healthy to me. :D

I'm not saying it's going to kill your fish, but this thread is about what kinds are "better." My fish happen to look at the SF Bay brand stuff like trash blowing in the wind.

All I'm saying is if your fish aren't eating and are suffering from malnutrition (poor color, HLLE, skinny, sick, etc.), try something different with better nutritional content.

Back