Best LFS in Long Beach

creep

Hi everyone, i'm from Long Beach and want to know what everyone thinks is the best LFS in or around the Long Beach area. I usually go to circle pets for my water, and strictly fish for my livestock. Are there any others around here that are really good?

how about any around Long Beach. i don't mind driving a little bit if it means better quality, or better selection.

Yeah, go to Jeff's Exotic Fish in Gardena... Jeff is a SUPER nice guy and their staff is really friendly and very informative.

Great store! Great Prices Here is their website:

www.exoticfish.com

(and no I don't work there :rollface: )

---ttomkat1

sorry didnt read that you already posted strictly fish and circle pets. dunno man, if you find out any let me know. i just moved from OC to LB.

When I was "trapped" in the LBC during my wife's art festival, I did a little tour of fish stores. The only one that seemed even decent for any reef hobbiest was Circle Pet. I saw 2 others down there that were dismal. Once had a really decent planted FW tank though.

I second the vote on Jeffs. Strictly fish is nice... but their prices are outrageous sometimes. Anything they sell is sold at Jeffs for at least 20% cheaper! Reefermadness is great too... they also are starting to sell on ebay... store returns, etc. Good luck!

D0cdave... Long Beach wasnt that bad, was it? (LOL)

-Tony

Tong's in Fountain Valley is not that far from LB.

Jeff's in Carson is good for fish some/corals.

Reefermadness in Torrance is great for corals, almost no fish selection.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8139695#post8139695 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reef_doug
Tong's in Fountain Valley is not that far from LB.

Does Tongs have a website? I might be up to stoping in there and checking things out.

---ttomkat1

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8140194#post8140194 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ttomkat1
Does Tongs have a website? I might be up to stoping in there and checking things out.

---ttomkat1

Bring your extra large "full" wallet.

Clint

if you havent been to tong's before, you really should go just to look. i'd say they have some of the most impressive display tanks ive ever seen (close to hugo's tank that crashed :(). saurus is right though, they're also known for being really expensive...

Tong's is pretty expensive on corals, but no other retailer has corals like they do. Fish prices there are fair. Selection is huge. Staff are a bunch of jerks, maybe 2 of them are cool.

Reefer Madness is a great place in Torrance. Chris is really cool and he'll frag just about anything for you. If your into SPS his selection is awesome. LPS are good too. But call and make sure he's there.

Strictly Fish is pretty lame. Check out the fish before you buy him. Hopefully its new and hasn't had time to get sick. Coral pricing is outrageous. Don't be fooled by they're 1/3 off sale they have every now and then. Basically they mark it up 25% the day before and give you 33% of next day. So basically you save tax.

Jeff's is so-so. Some of the staff is good. Some corals are healthy some aren't. Prices are fair. Worth a look.

Pacific Reef in Torrance/Harbor City is HUGE. But basic common corals that are dying. Fish is ok, pricing is fair. But I like the staff.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8141376#post8141376 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by All Delight

Pacific Reef in Torrance/Harbor City is HUGE. But basic common corals that are dying. Fish is ok, pricing is fair. But I like the staff.

agree... Brian in FV is a blast...very cool guy.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8139638#post8139638 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by antjefferson

D0cdave... Long Beach wasnt that bad, was it? (LOL)

-Tony

Living there for 4.5 years was, well, interesting to say the least. It is getting a lot better down there. I saw some nasty parts of the LBC working as a networking guy for LBUSD.

+2 on Jeff's Exotic. Love that place. Some of their sales are great, make sure to get on their mailing and email lists.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8142856#post8142856 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by d0cdave
Living there for 4.5 years was, well, interesting to say the least. It is getting a lot better down there. I saw some nasty parts of the LBC working as a networking guy for LBUSD.
I worked in Long Beach as well and to be fair it's hard to make a blanket statement about the place. It's essentially a mini-LA where you've got some really nice areas (Belmont Shores, for example) and really crappy areas (Central Long Beach, north of downtown) that are completely segregated with little buffer in-between.

I second that. I've been in every elementary, middle and high school in LB. The place I would always dread visiting was Jordan High School in North LB. And that was because of all the politics that I had to hear about between the teachers and the admins. The kids never bothered me... they always asked me if I was the "sub" when I walked into a class :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8145165#post8145165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Texsun
I worked in Long Beach as well and to be fair it's hard to make a blanket statement about the place. It's essentially a mini-LA where you've got some really nice areas (Belmont Shores, for example) and really crappy areas (Central Long Beach, north of downtown) that are completely segregated with little buffer in-between.

I used to fly my RC Gliders in Belmont Shores, Bluff Park I believe. From what I remember, the area resembled West Hollywood. At least the crowd did heh.

Back