Best Metal Halide Bulb for SPS coloration

The Aquastar bulb is made by the same people (Neuco) and is supposed to be a new and improved version of the Aqua Connect. I'm guessing the Aqua Connect was discontinued. The mogul based Aqua Connect 250w was a nice bulb, but I still prefer the Radium for coral color and appearance.

The Aquastar bulb is made by the same people (Neuco) and is supposed to be a new and improved version of the Aqua Connect. I'm guessing the Aqua Connect was discontinued. The mogul based Aqua Connect 250w was a nice bulb, but I still prefer the Radium for coral color and appearance.

Yeah, from everything I have read and heard the Aquastar is not an upgrade over the AquaConnects. Disappointing to see this is how this company decided to change.

I have 400W 20K Radium on 400w mag ballasts, 250W Radium on HQI and 14K Phoenix on HQI. All are awesome, but different.

I like all three of these over a 14K AquaConnect on 400w mag ballast.

That german site is ready to mail it to US for 330 dollars for two bulbs. Drew if you can do better please help.

Premium aquatics sold them. Call them and ask them as they may help.

PA doesn't carry the Aquastar or Aquaconnect... I'll email Jeremy though.

I have Radium's and my coloration is good. I always preferred the overall temperature of the Aquaconnects though.

I ordered 4 of the 250w aqua connect from the German site. I have radiums now so I'll post my impressions once they get delivered.

400w Radiums on HQI are overdriven, so shorter life, but they are the best looking bulb I have ever seen in the 15 years I've ran metal halides. They are brighter than the 250's, bluer than the 250's and have higher PPFD compared to the 250's. The growth and coloration of acropora under 400w Radiums on HQI is phenomenal. That being said, I have settled for 250w Radiums and Phoenix on HQI ballasts, supplemented with VHO super actinic bulbs. The look is close to the same, but not quite;)

Replacing 400w Radiums every 6-8 months does stink. I think the Aquaconnect is pretty much the identical bulb as the Ushio 14K, which is a really nice bulb. I don't go in for the "more expensive the bulb, the better it is theory".

I used Helios 250 and 400 watt 20k bulbs, and those were the best bulbs I have ever used. Even better than Radiums, IMO, which I use now.

Problem was their quality was so spotty, that one of every three bulbs you buy would be bad. Retailers in the US stopped carrying them 4 years ago or so.

The 250W aqua connects ended up costing me $110 each. A good amount more than the radiums, but if they last even close to the 2 years Drew says they last, it will be worth it. If not, it won't be the first or last time in this hobby that I've spent more than I had to! Half the fun is the experimenting.

To Nanook's comment, Sanjay has tested the Ushio and the Aqua connect 400W bulbs (Ushio doesn't make a 250W 14k). His results show that they are not the same bulb. Here is the spectral plot of the two Ushio 14k's against the Aqua connect using the same Blueline ballast from the Manhattan reefs lighting guide:
64d93744e72c07e83eff706ba3675f41.png

That peak at 450 is what makes those colors glow.

For anyone interested; I have been running 250w SE radium 20k's on my 225 and it was time to change them. My buddy had a couple of 250w SE Phoenix 14k's laying around so I gave them a shot. Honestly I cannot see much difference between the 2. I ran them side by side and the Phoenix bulb is just a tad bit whiter than the radium and a little brighter (probably due to the age of my radium bulb). This is all on a galaxy select a watt ballast. Needless to say I plan on using the Phoenix's for the next 9 months.

To Nanook's comment, Sanjay has tested the Ushio and the Aqua connect 400W bulbs (Ushio doesn't make a 250W 14k). His results show that they are not the same bulb. Here is the spectral plot of the two Ushio 14k's against the Aqua connect using the same Blueline ballast from the Manhattan reefs lighting guide:
64d93744e72c07e83eff706ba3675f41.png

That peak at 450 is what makes those colors glow.

I was only talking about 400 watt Aquaconnect bulbs,

I've always ran 10k xm for par and growth and I've tried lots of bulbs the elos was a nice one but pricey the radium is a powerful bulb raise your lights when you switch this one out lol I love the 10k for pinks and yellows though The radium does look great for popping blues and purples wish I had more room to do both
I'm currently using 2 250 Phoenix's and using 2 150 radiums on ice caps also with a combo of t5 hoping to get the white for the lighter colors to pop also on the frag tank 2 radiums and one Phoenix

Last edited:
I'm setting up a 150W fixture I have used in years and need a bulb. It'll be supplemented with 4 T5 24"

I haven't bought a 150 in years. What about the Phoenix 14K ?

The Phoenix 14k in the 150w configuration is a bit more blue than the 250w setup. If you're looking for it to be a bit more on the blue side this would be my suggestion. If you're wanting it to be more white with just a very slightly blue tint then I'd do with the Ushio 14k.

Which ballast? It matters on DE stuff. Electronic will be quite a bit bluer IME, whereas on ANSI HQI, they are more like described in most of this thread.

Back