Best return pump?

prose

I currently run a mag 7 for a return pump but dont care for it, just checking in with others to see what else is out there!

Best pump I have had by far is Red Dragon. That said with budget in mind Eheim has also been a winner for submersible. A lot of good choices if external pumps can work with your setup.

+1 vote for a DC brushless pumps that are controllable. Its nice to oversize a little run at a lower setting that will make them super quiet and consume less power.

+1 Red Dragon if you can afford it.
I like the Vectra also because of the calibration and battery backup option.

Do you have a budget?

Yeah, this is important...:thumbsup:

Sicce pumps are a common and well-regarded AC pump - the Syncra 3 is just a bit more in price, but much better in quality. For double the cost, but electronically adjustable, the Tunze 1073.050 would be my choice (and the motor block is made by Sicce).

If I were to choose a comparable (in $$$) DC pump, the Waveline DC2500 is similar in price and flow to your previous pump, but may be just as problematic as the Jebao brand DC pumps (some reviews say yes, the others no). Many people here swear by the Jebaos, even though I do wonder about their longevity and quality (as I do with many of the Chinese-made pumps) - too many reports (plus my own experience) out there to be ignored. Maybe the newer models will fair better...:confused:

If you can afford a better DC pump, there are options, and the EcoTech Vectra M1 would be my choice - simply better quality and warranty.

What also wasn't asked by anybody is the display size and that is also an important factor when choosing a pump. How can anybody recommend a proper pump without knowing that or even the head height?? Granted, I should have asked that in my first post too.

In my opinion and experience, the best pump by far on a budget is the Fluval SP series. It's infinitely more reliable than a Jebao DC pump and with proper maintenance will last several years or more instead of 1-3 years. It uses a proven Askoll block which is proven to last 10 years plus with proper maintenance.

Other things to take into consideration are noise requirements becaue "best pump" is relative to many factors and longevity happens to be a key factor.. As such, it's real difficult for anybody to make a proper recommendation on a return pump without knowing all the details including but not limited to budget.

Agreed with slief and ksed! Fluval all the way. That was my choice when I was going to set up my new tank but then I went crazy!

Well, I read someone mentioned warranties in regards to pumps. Sicce warranties their pumps for 3-5 years depending on where you buy them and how you register them.

I have a Sicce feeding my recirculating skimmer and another on my GFO reactor. Use an Eheim 1262 for water changes, and a Waveline DC12000 to provide for my DT, upstream refugium, ozone & carbon reactor, and whatever else I attach to my manifold. The Waveline replaced the Eheim.

I've been happy with all of these pumps. The DC12000 runs around or just under $300 and is way overpowered for my set up, but I like it that way and hope it lasts as long as my Eheim has. The less powerful Wavelines are less expensive.

I can't imagine not running a DC pump as the main pump as they are so flexible and adjustable with regards to flow rate, are rather inexpensive, quite powerful, have soft starts, and use less electricity.

I am using a reef octopus varios 2 and live it. It is so silent that the only thing I could hear after I installed it was the skimmer air intake line so I plumbed it to the basement fish room. And now I have a truly silent tank.

ive done some research on the vectra seem kinda hard to dial in and what not....any suggestions to this?

Back