Best RO membrane for the money?

jefft321

I need a replacement RO membrane. I have seen the Filmtec models at several on line sites. Salty Supply has one that is 100 GPD for around $40. That seems cheap? I have heard the higher volume ones are not as efficient? I think the rejection rate on the Dow Filmtec is 90%
It seems like the models that produce less water per day are more efficient?
The Spectrapure seem much more expensive, is there anything comparable that is cheaper?
Also, shoud I be using the 1 or .5 micron pre-filter and carbon block?
Thanks.

sreefs

Spectrapure had their 90 GPD membrane on sale for 40 dollars for RC members, not sure if it still is. This has 98% rejection, you will need a new flow restrictor, depending on what you have now.
Pat

Hal

Check Bulk Reef Supply, a sponsor here. They sell a 75 gpd and a 150 gpd, both with 98% rejection rate.

Most places recommend a new flow restrictor when you replace the membrane.

solitude127

Proud user of IO Salt!
I bought a BRS supply membrane for my RO. It's about 9 months old and is still only putting out 1 TDS. The efficency is pretty good too. So far, I'm 3 bad to 1 good. My other membrane was 4-5bad to 1 good.

old salty

Genius
Premium Member
I am using a Buckeye Field Supply 150gpd membrane in conjunction with a pressure boosting pump. So far, after two years of operation, it's still running like a champ. My RO TDS is 2.4ppm; low enough that the DI resin lasts a very long time. I also use the more expensive pre-filters and carbon blocks because it's important to protect the RO membrane.

Toddrtrex

Premium Member
I would get the Dow Filmtec 75 GPD one (( that is what I have always used )), love the 96-98% rejection rate. With my water's temp and pressure I fill my 5 gallon containers in 2 hours, which works out perfectly for me.

flamron

Professional Stick Gluer
Premium Member
The efficiency of the 75gpd membranes typically outweigh the output of the lesser efficient larger gpd models.

+1 on the Filmtec 75gpd. I fill a 4.5G container in 1.5-1.75hrs.

old salty

Genius
Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15441139#post15441139 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flamron
The efficiency of the 75gpd membranes typically outweigh the output of the lesser efficient larger gpd models.

+1 on the Filmtec 75gpd. I fill a 4.5G container in 1.5-1.75hrs.

The BFS 150gpd membrane I am using is currently working at 98% rejection and produces about 180gpd during the summer months. I agree that anyone looking for a filter should definitely steer clear from the 90% rejection membranes; the DI resin tends to get used up much faster.

DarG

Most of the Vendors are selling the Dow Filmtecs.

My close to 3 year old 75 GPD Filmtec is still running at over 98% rejection. 2 ppm TDS after RO with my supply water TDS at 160 ppm.