Best seat in the house

plantastic

My humble tanks...although one is an LPS (oh, the horror!)...

So, as I sit in the recliner to watch TV, to my right is my 11 year old SPS tank, and to my right is my (my Wife's) 2 year old LPS tank.

The SPS tank, has been running continuously for 11 years, although in that time it has been moved 5 times or so, has had losses, had a rock or two removed, a new rock or so added, some sand added, some sand removed, a fish added, a fish perished, cyano algae, bryopsis, diatoms, dinoflagellates, an overdose of potassium, power outages, etc...pretty much the normal stuff for a box of water with lights over it!

For the past couple of years, things have been going well enough, that I don't feel TOO embarrassed to post pics of it. HAHA!

Anyway, some particulars...

SPS tank:
Lee-Mar rimless...48X20X20
Tek light 4X54watt T-5
2-48" current tru lumen blue LED strips
4 ecotech MP10's (2 on the sides and 2 on the back)
29gallon aquarium as sump
ASM g2 skimmer with recirculation mod
Aqua UV 15watt hang on
Sicce 2 return pump

Fish:
Tomini Tang (6 years)
Randall's Anthia (4 years)
Nocturnus Goby (4 years)
Helfrich's firefish (2 years)
Candy Basslet (6 years)
Possum wrasse (10 years)

LPS tank:
DSA 65 rinless...36X20X21
Radion G2 Pro
2 Ecotech MP10's (both on the back)
e-shopps sump
ASM G2 skimmer...no mods
Sicce 2 return pump

Fish:
2" yellow tang (1 year)
Black Ice clowns (2 years)
Leopard Wrasse (2 years)
Purple firefish (9 months)
Im sure there are all kinds of particulars that I forget to mention, but that is the "Bones" of the systems...

Thanks for taking the time to look!

SPS full tank shot (most current)

And, from about 4 months ago,

LPS full tank shot (most current)

Thanks again for looking, and Macros to come soon!

alten78-

Thank you very much!

Not sure on what specifics...

I have always used Sea-Lab 28 blocks for Calcium and trace elements, and Continuum Borate-free buffer for alkalinity. The buffer is mixed into a 12 gallon resovoir of RO/DI water, that tops off the tank with a Spectapure LLC-PH. It basically controls a powerhead with a probe.

No other additives.

I feed 3-4 times a night, heavily. It literally looks like a snow storm. the food is a mix of PE Mysis, Emerald Entrée, Marine Cuisine, White worms, Blood Worms, Baby Brine shrimp, and Coral Gumbo. I squirt a couple of syringes of Selcon onto the food.

Anything else, just ask...

cnewsome-

Thank you very much!

deansreef-

I'm not sure why you can't see them. I hosted them with photobucket, and used the image links.

Twiegs-

Hey Troy! Thank you so much, dude! I didn't know you perused this forum. I hope all is well with you, yours, and your tank!

Here's some macros of the fish in the SPS tank...

Tomini Tang

Helfrich's Firefish

Randall's Anthia

Candy Basslet

Unfortunately, I don't have any good shots of the Nocturnus Goby, or the Possum Wrasse...but if your familiar with those fish, you can understand why!:lmao:

Thanks again for checking them out!

Truly inspirational! You indeed have the best seat in the house :)

Post some more info on how you maintain such beautiful systems.

Fish look awesome! Great pictures!! I make it a point to read your posts whenever possible. I always learn something from them! How do you control Phosphates in your tanks? I know you're not a big fan of using GFO.

Anything on tv would have a difficult time competing with that view...beautiful and you get the best of both worlds, SPS and LPS!!

Bilk-

Thank you very much!

I actually don't do too much. I use the magnet to clean the glass about twice a week. I use a razor about every three weeks, to get the spots that the magnet isn't strong enough for. I do about a 35% water change, about every 4 months. I have to fill the reservoirs about every 10 days or so, I test at the time for Calcium and alkalinity, to make sure I am not straying too far outside the sweet zone. I don't test for Nitrates and Phosphates any more, because they are consistently 0 for both tanks, using the Salifert kits.

sticks10-

Thank you!...it really is a cool fish!...it is always out, and can be seen from across the street!

Twiegs-

I actually am a fan of GFO, but only if needed. It is not something I use dogmatically. I have to assume, that the skimmer, keeps up with the necessary export, as well as any biological sinks/pathways to process the Phosphate. I don't actively try to control it. If I tested and found Phosphate at any detectable level, I would most likely dig through my mountains of fish crap, and hook up my GFO reactor.

usingthejohn-

Thanks, dude!

And, some coral Macros...some may have names...I'm not real good at wanting to remember that stuff!:beer:

Thanks again everyone, for the kind comments!

Hopefully one of these days I will get to the place of close to 0 phosphates. In the meantime I need to run a reactor 24/7!

Awesome pictures of the coral!!!

Back