Biocube: how can I change background color safely?

Anchorman

I recently picked up a used Biocube 29 and the false wall blue plastic background is faded badly. How can I safely change this to a black background? I though about reef safe paint, but figure it’ll flake off as soon as I start scraping algae or a piece of live rock leans against it. It seems 2 part epoxy could be a good solution but how would I protect the intakes and strainers and outflow nozzles from too thick of a coat while still changing the color successfully?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have an answer but want to welcome you to Reef Central. Hopefully some other members will be able to offer ideas.

I think we might get better visibility in the Reef Discussion forum. Would you like me to move this thread there?

Krylon Fusion is the paint people use inside tanks. Bonds very well to plastic and is reef safe once cured. Plasti Dip is also safe but I think it's more likely to scrape off because it's more like a rubber coating, My only personal experience is with plasti dip but that was on the exterior back of a tank.

BTW, neither of these claim to be safe for aquariums.

Welcome to Reef Central! Personally I'd go with paint but if you go with epoxy cardboard inserts rubbed with vegitable oil is what I'd use to keep the epoxy from sealong off openings.

Oooh, that's clever! I went to a fiberglass supplier yesterday and bought some black pigment but honestly after they talked about epoxy not adhering well to plastic I decided to take my chances with the Krylon fusion. Hopefully it wont flake off over time and algae can be removed from it easily without scratching.

Back