Biotope for Gig questions...

mandarin417

I don't have the link anymore but I believe someone posted pics of their trip where they ran across gigs on a sandy bottom with lots of sea grasses and more back and forth flow rather than the direct powerhead flow that folks recommend.

I have an extra tank that I would like to setup as a Gig biotope and am looking for recommendations on sand to use, sand depth, rubble rock or larger pieces, grasses to include and so on. If someone can point me to a link I would sure appreciate it.

I was told to use a deep sand bed with sugar sand but that would result in a sandstorm if I directed a constant powerful stream of water at the nem.

Thanks,

Bob

Gigs don't live in the sand.
Some of them do, they attache to something just at the sand-rock interface. If you have bright enough light, this would be OK.
This Green Gig of mine have 2/3 of his oral plate on the sand and 1/3 on the rock he attached to, right at the sand surface.

attachment.php

Some of them do, they attache to something just at the sand-rock interface. If you have bright enough light, this would be OK.
This Green Gig of mine have 2/3 of his oral plate on the sand and 1/3 on the rock he attached to, right at the sand surface.

attachment.php

But they are still attatched to rock for the most part. Definitely don't require a deep sand bed as the OP was told.

They do not need sand. All of mine, 7 of them, attached to rock, only one at Sand Rock interface. The rest on rock structure.
They defiantly does not want or need straight PH point at them.

Thanks guys. I do recall someone posting in recent months pics or a vid of trip they took where the gigs were in sandy substrate with lots of grasses around them. If anyone recalls who posted or can find that post, I would sure appreciate it.

If you want to create a real biotope with sea grasses, then you will need a tank with a deep sand bed. Most sea grasses need at least 4" of sand in order to be able to root properly. Disturbing the roots will kill them.

My suggestion would be to create your rockscape and plant the sea grasses. Give them about 6 months to grow and develop a root system. At that point, you can add your gigs and then increase the flow.

The problem I've found is that without a deep sand bed and time for the grasses to grow and establish a root system, once the flow is cranked up for optimal conditions for gigs, the sand gets displaced, then grasses get dislodged and die.

Here's a video of my current gig tank:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KI0ni3g9VrY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Ignore the black and white clownfish, I keep it to show people what flared gills look like.)

Unfortunately, I have to move my tank soon, otherwise I'd have turtle grass planted.

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0jjehPdnSkQ?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

check the 2:20 mark! incredible flow

This is a video I took when I was snorkeling in Karimunjawa, Indonesia. Water debth was around 2-3ft so these anemones get blasted with lights. I'm sure the wave gets stronger during the tide change but this anemone is in good flow.

https://youtu.be/UZ_PQ0UNuxs

Back