Black perculas?

cuda6872

Has anybody seen any black percs before? I thought I seen some a lil over a year ago, but none since then. I wouldn't mind having one if I could find one. Also, would they spawn with normal colored percs?

I have seen black percs in Coralville, Iowa at an LFS called "Sea of Marvels". The owner told me that he would sell them for around $500 if I was interested. They were really cool looking, but I am not sure that I am ready for that type of investment.
IMO the black percs would mate with any other percs, just like a Goldstripe maroon will mate with a whitestripe one.

There are at least 4 different kind of species in this trade are called "black percula", A. percula, A. ocellaris (Darwin), A. ephippium and A. clarkii. Which one are you talking about?

Before ordering, I would ask to see a picture of any of the "black" clowns from the listed websites as many times they range from larger-than-usual black borders on the stripes to mostly black but with orange faces.

The retail/wholesale name of "black percula" is, in 99.9% of cases, Amphiprion polymnus or a geographical variant of the saddleback clownfish. Make certain you make a positive ID on the fish you are planning to purchase. A. polymnus is not a good candidate to be crossbred with Amphiprion ocellaris, or the "false perc". Although crosses are possible you sound like someone that wants to try their hand with breeding clownfish. I wouldn't advise buying a single Darwin, or "black ocellaris" and mating it with a standard ocellaris. Take my advice when I say that you might have a difficult time selling cross bred clownfish. Particularly if their bars and coloring are missing or in the wrong places. If you have a percula or an ocellaris and want to breed them try staying with like for like. You'll have a much better chance for success in the long run.

$500.00 for a pair of "black percs" is a rip-off! Unless your retailer has a legitimate pair of the Darwin Island variant of Amphiprion ocellaris he's selling you swamp land!

Last edited:
Unless your retailer has a legitimate pair of the Darwin Island variant of Amphiprion ocellaris he's selling you swamp land!

Could you please enlighten us as to where Darwin Island is? :D

Even in Australia, black variants of A. ocellaris are hard to come by and expensive when found. I am currently on the lookout for a pair but have so far been unsuccessful. :(

For all intents and purposes Darwin is not an Island. It is a city on the mainland. These fish are exclusive to a few Islands and sea mounts off the coast of Darwin in the Timor Sea. From what I've been told by a couple of biologists in the area they are most commonly found between Bathurst Island and Melville Island in the Clarence Strait. There is a reserve directly off the coast of Darwin called "Casuarina Coastal Reserve". Within Beagle Gulf, inside this reserve there is a small Island. This is the place where this variant was first identified. After a little research over the past couple of months I have discovered that only adult pairs are protected by the Endemic Species Protection Act. My guess is that juveniles are fair game because they are lighter then their adult counterparts.

Firechild,
You could try Cairns Marine Aquarium, in cairns they often have black ocellaris. They always (everytime i've been in) have captive bred small ones. Their number is (07) 40581711.
Cheers,
Viking.

Greenwater said:
I have seen black percs in Coralville, Iowa at an LFS called "Sea of Marvels". The owner told me that he would sell them for around $500 if I was interested. They were really cool looking, but I am not sure that I am ready for that type of investment.
IMO the black percs would mate with any other percs, just like a Goldstripe maroon will mate with a whitestripe one.

FYI everyone, I was at Sea of Marvels the other day, and the black percs have spawned. The owner is getting ready to raise the babies, he has rotifers going and what not. I don't know him well enough to know if he can do it, but he seems to know what he is doing.

They are solid black, with stripes of course, but not a touch of orange.

Thanks for the update Laura.
The owner does know what he is doing. He has raised some of the larvae to adult stage and sold them in the Chicago area.
At least that is what he says. :)
I suppose it is time to give him a call and see when he will have some juveniles that he is looking to sell.

Hi All,

I picked these up today,I'd welcome your thougths on if they are the "real deal" ?

black_perc1.jpg

black_perc2.jpg

cheers
marc

Hey, funny this thread came back up. I was just going to post that I was at Sea of Marvels today, and the black percs hatched. The parents look just like what you have LPS man, solid jet black, with the perfect white "perc" stripes. Mom is full of eggs agian too. They are sooo cute!!

If anyone in Eastern Iowa is looking for these guys, of course they won't be big enough for a while, but you may want to give him a call. (319)351-3969

Puleeze tell him Laura from Cedar Rapids told you.:D

Hi,

I forgot to ask, does anyone have links to an site with more info on this variety ?

I did a few searches but didnt get much joy:rolleyes:

cheers
marc

I am also looking for a pair of black clownfish. The LFS has some TINY ones (they are adults) and they refuse to sell them. They are black, TINY, have white stripes and not a touch of orange. Beautiful.

FYI, there are no black Percula's. They don't exist. You can get black false percs from ORA. Check the ORA website. Everyone buying true black percs are getting ripped off!

Back