Blood Orange Clownfish - Weird Pairing & Aggression

cheelayqeelay

Hey y'all!

I've got an interesting tale of my two 1.5" blood orange clowns picked up from my LFS ~2.5 weeks ago. For description's sake, one is darker, "Stormy", other is bright orange "Neon".

Upon putting them into the tank, Stormy was showing way more aggression to Neon, and, about 5 days after pickup at LFS, Neon was shimmying next to Stormy. This happened for approximately a week, and, I thought, according to what I've read, Stormy would grow to be female, and, Neon the submissive male.

However, after returning from a weekend away, I've come back to find Stormy badly beaten up and have witnessed Neon relentlessly on the attack, so, a complete 180 degree reversal from where I thought this was headed.

I've currently got Neon in a clear breeder basket, letting Stormy get some calm and heal up.

What should I do? My current plan is to keep Neon in breeder basket for ~1 week, let Stormy heal up and swim freely, release Neon, and, see how it goes. If Neon bullies badly again, rinse and repeat. Thoughts?

Thank you!

Blood orange are part maroon. They are aggressive still. I had a pair and noticed that immediately. Is it possible the male is regular ocellaris? You can also tape a small mirror to the tank so the female spends more time attacking its reflection which allows the male to avoid attacks. I've done this and it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back