Picasso Surgeonfish and Clownfish, possible ich

Kirino

So I got a free picasso surgeonfish and clownfish from some guy that was quiting the hobby. They are tiny by the way. I also got a couple of devil fish and a pink/yellow Bicolor from the same guy. Yea I know, all pretty aggressive little buggers. All looked healthy.

I put both the devil fish together in quarantine, the bicolor separate in quarantine, and the clownfish and surgeonfish together in yet another quarantine. I ran out of space, I don't have room for 5 quarantine tanks. Still 3 is better than 1, right? At any rate it has been a month since then. The bicolor looks healthy as ever and so do the devils. But now the other two:
- the clownfish kinda looks ok, except since this week I see a little orange dot right under his mouth? That was not there before.
- the surgeonfish has white dots, almost like grains of sand. I noticed when I was about to move both of them out of quarantine. Sadly enough that's not happening now.

I've uploaded two clips here:
- clearest view on the surgeonfish:

- not so clear clip, but you can kinda pause and see the orange dot on the clownfish in this one:

Meanwhile they are both back in the quarantine tank. What do you think?

Edit: I have Cupramine (from Seachem) available right now. Some buffered active copper, supposedly effective against external parasites according to the bottle. But I read that clownfish don't handle copper well. At this point I should probably separate them. What threatment would you recommend for both of them?

Last edited:
It would be better to use Coppersafe or Copper Power, if possible.

I would treat with copper for 30 days if the surgeonfish has white dots...

We don't have those around here, so I've started the treatment with what I have. Supposedly it's good. Is it possible the white dots are already disappearing? Edit: it has been 24 hours.

The clownfish does not have any symptoms yet, I'll move him to a new, separate quarantine tomorrow. I don't know if anything could still be in the shared tank, but probably yes? I'm not sure if I should give the clownfish the same treatment? I'm told they don't handle copper well after all. But what if he has them.

The clownfish does not have any symptoms yet, I'll move him to a new, separate quarantine tomorrow. I don't know if anything could still be in the shared tank, but probably yes? I'm not sure if I should give the clownfish the same treatment? I'm told they don't handle copper well after all. But what if he has them.
Yes, most fish diseases are in the water/tank as much as they are on the fish.

While following the Cupramine instructions I combined it with a tank transfer method. Full doze for 48 hours, white dots were gone, tank transfer with another full doze for 48 hours. Another tank transfer with half the doze for a week, tank transfer another week half doze, tank transfer to new larger tank with fresh batch of water. Hope that did the trick.

Ps: I premade a large batch of water for the tank transfers to keep the parameters at least somewhat the same

Last edited:
Back