Blue SPS not staying blue...

Rodmad

Any idea why everything else sps looks good no matter what other color it is except my blues?

Got a RSM 250
Parameters (tested daily):
Alk 8 to 10
Cal 400 to 460
Temp 77 via chiller
2 wavemakers
Ai sol Leds running 8 hours ramping blue to white to blue
weekly 10 gal water change
running pho reactor & chemi pure elite 24/7
protein skimmer
HOB refugium with miracle mud & chaeto

Parameters (tested monthly):
Phosphate .06
Nitrate 0

Please help....................:headwallblue::headwallblue::headwallblue:

will try to get a pic good enough to post but also wanted to add that the blue sps actually turn reddish brown, read online that it might be a lack of potassium iodide or lack of light. Any help is appreciated.

usually when acro turn brownish it's due to higher waste levels. I know your phosphates read .06 but all testkits for phosphate are inaccurate, some incredibly. Potassium can enhance blue SPS but you should have your blues without dosing potassium. A pic will get you more accurate answers.

I am having the same issue. I still have blue tips but less of the tip is blue compared to when the acro was first introduced.

I agree with Richard as to the effects of Potassium on blues and i can speak from experience. I discovered my Potassium was 300 due to no water changes yet i never have problems with keeping blue acros very colorful despite the level in my water being well below 400. I have however been unable to hold the colors on the same blue acros in my sump frag tank which is illuminated by a 120W 50/50 blue white dimmable LED unit.
I have observed blue acros over the years to dull out fast in dirty water compared to greens and other colors and they're a good indicator of water quality for me. Clean = blue Dirty = poo
You put alk at 8-10, can you explain what you mean by that range as mine is 7.8-8.0 so you might want to get a better reign on alk possibly.
Hope you sort out the issue and get your blues back. :)

I have also noticed that placement in your DT can have a impact. How much light they are receiving can change their color too. I have a few forms of blue SPS in my DT and who I have higher in the water column, dulls out a little. While the SPS I have lower in my DT maintains its blue color.

I had the same experience with AI Sols. Got better with T5 supplementation. Eventually drove me back to MH. Good luck

I have a few blue acros.They weren't blue until being moved to a spot 12" under my 250w MH.High light is the bottom line of what I'm getting at.

-Ray

Either way you should have a K test kit. My personal experience is salifert is very accurate. Had, kz: worthless, red sea is a little harder to use for me. Best value supplement is Brightwell potassion p powder. If your k is off the whole tank will suffer.

Back