Bored- Show Us Your Reef!

I have 2 plumbed together. #1 - 8 months old and #2 is 2 weeks old:
d2eSaTH.jpg
[/IMG]
OvFYl3G.jpg
[/IMG]
It's so cool to see someone else who plumbed theirs together!! all the lfs seem to think I'm off my rocks when I say I have a 120gal system accross 7 tanks (four are sump tanks)
sweet setup!!!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

It's so cool to see someone else who plumbed theirs together!! all the lfs seem to think I'm off my rocks when I say I have a 120gal system accross 7 tanks (four are sump tanks)
sweet setup!!!

Thanks! if we are including the sump, I have 180 gallons across 4 tanks. 2 displays, 30 gallon shared sump and a 30 gallon cryptic refugium with huge Brittle Stars, sponges, and pods.
Why do you have 4 sumps?
Cheers! Mark

Thanks! if we are including the sump, I have 180 gallons across 4 tanks. 2 displays, 30 gallon shared sump and a 30 gallon cryptic refugium with huge Brittle Stars, sponges, and pods.
Why do you have 4 sumps?
Cheers! Mark
Instead of baffles in one big tank I did 4 smaller tanks. Built everything myself (Im an environmental engineer who designs, builds, maintains, and operates water and wastewater plants professionally) after tons of research I equated the entire aquarium system to a wastewater system in it's processes. That's how a waste water system would usually be set up with different tanks. The nice part is that I have four 10-15gal tanks that are connected with unions and valves so for maintenance I can disconnect one syphon it off and it's very manageable to move and clean ;).. I was also able to arrange them to maximize my space options when I couldn't with one large tank. I'm thinking about adding a 45gal in my basement with just rock pods and macros that would be plumbed between skimmer and add a second return pump but haven't got there yet. But the tanks just sitting there lol.
I attached some photos. The first uncluttered one is when it I had just added water and I think live rock. The others are current about two years later (I'm still a noob), not much has changed tho. The original skimmer (I knew this wasn't the final gear) I got moved to the back of the third tank between display 2and 3 and the simplicity got added and I added a looped po4 media reactor. There are two in line filters for various media on the back wall that you just can't make out at all in the first two pics. My third/last display is also my dsb. So three display to four sump.
Finally figured how to correct the color on the 40gal L community tank to that pics there too. I wanted a system that had the stability of size but could do so species specific life that may not normally get kept due to aggression and such. View attachment 388049View attachment 388050KIMG0424.jpgKIMG0477~2.jpg

Why do you have 4 sumps?
Cheers! Mark
Any pics of that fuge? I'm curious to see what others keep in theirs and haven't tried any sponges other than those that hh in and arnt really the pretty sort.

I will take a pic. next time I'm out to the garage. Here is a pic. of one of the Brittle Stars:
0H5TtoT.jpg
[/IMG]

I will take a pic. next time I'm out to the garage. Here is a pic. of one of the Brittle Stars:
0H5TtoT.jpg
[/IMG]
Omg thats awesome and huge was an understatement!! Do they keep everything nice and clean? I read so much negative about keeping starfish, either not beeing able to feed them or they eat good stuff (depending on breed)and poor identification, lfs lie, etc. I've stayed away so far.

Omg thats awesome and huge was an understatement!! Do they keep everything nice and clean? I read so much negative about keeping starfish, either not beeing able to feed them or they eat good stuff (depending on breed)and poor identification, lfs lie, etc. I've stayed away so far.

I dont think they do any cleaning. The Brittle Stars are not like a "regular" starfish that attaches itself to a surface and glides around sucking crud off. They just kinda hang out. I tweezer feed each of them a hunk of prawn every other day and they readily take it. I have heard that they will eat a fish or even suck zoas off a rock, but ours have their own 30 gallon tank (cryptic refugium). Our local LFS had 2 of them that had been housed in tiny 6 inch by 8 inch plastic "jails" and we had to get them. Not only 'cause they are cool but I felt so bad for them being all cramped up.
Cheers! Mark
mYaoeW6.jpg
[/IMG]

JcaHPwl.jpg
[/IMG]

The big green brittle stars like that will actively hunt fish and can easily eat something like a 3inch clownfish.

Work in progress, but I'm pretty happy with it...

img_0525-1024x683.jpg

Got the rays from Live Aquaria. Picked up the whale shark from Petco.

Needed the extra large Tunze Care Magnet. Going through DI resin like you wouldn't believe. Up to 750 flat packs of mysis a day. Cleaned out BRS' supply of MP40s.

Thinking I might need an upgrade to so I can add a Naso tang (Happy now, Tang Police?!)

Back