Bought a Red planet colony

IrishTang

So looking for advice in keeping this Red planet acro. It appears to be an aquacultured specimen.

I found it among a group of other acros in a LFS, I don't think they knew what they had there. Really nice green base with reddish pink tips.
How should I acclimate this guy? I have a 4 bulb T5HO fixture with ATI bulbs, couple blue plus, coral plus and I believe an aquablue special? along with a 2 bulb T5HO fixture that I have hooked up but haven't really needed it with what I'm growing. I also have a USA current Orbit Marine that I use mainly for moonlights but I do run the "grow out" light phase for what it's worth.

So I have the RP on the sandbed ( Or near it on an Eshopps frag rack) how should I acclimate and what would be the ideal location to have the nice green base along with the red? It has great polyp extension so far. I will say that I have had bad luck with acros in the past, though I never acclimated properly because I thought my lighting was insufficient to their care, I always put them right at the top and they died shortly thereafter.

As always any help is appreciated. Pics taken with cell phone after placing in tank so not happy. Cant really see the coloration.

I believe that's a mariculture acro based on the tag (I could be wrong). Still looks like a nice piece!

Huh, interesting. As I've stated before I have only dipped my toes into keeping any type of acro. Any type of different care requirements for a maricultured acro? It has a really nice green base and also has what looks like a bright green alveopora or goniopora growing on the side.

They're less hardy! Did you dip it? A lot of mariculture carry pests so make sure you dip it in Bayer and remove it from the rock it came in!

My buddy bought $400 worth of maricultures a few weeks ago and as soon as he dipped them, he found several large flatworms! And the LFS dip all their corals too!

LOL, It is funny you say that. I don't usually dip my corals ( not smart I know), I quarantine fish but don't take proper measures with coral. I DID however get a few sample packets of Coral RX at the recent coral show and dipped this and a couple other things I got recently. I hope it was enough.

with the red planet if you put it up high it will lose the green base..

If you want to keep the green base keep it in med to low light..

with the red planet if you put it up high it will lose the green base..

If you want to keep the green base keep it in med to low light..

That's what I've read and it is pretty amazing how quickly that seems to happen. I slid the frag rack down almost to bottom for the day yesterday and the green was already much more pronounced.

Unfortunately it's too late to move my colony since it's completely encrusted onto the rock, but it's basically red/white growin like crazy but not the right color. I sold a frag to bmulkin (Sam) and it has a nice green base in his tank.

Back