Breeding Clams at home

the Celestron 44340 LCD Digital LDM Biological Microscope is available quite cheaply on amazon and would allow you to take lots of cool pics to post i bought one for my cousin and he loves it.

sorry guys. Been building my new tank, LED lights, just got my microsocope in a couple days ago. I'm going to be ordering more ISO G. (keep forgetting to do this) on Monday as i had some contamination somehow in the last batch that i made.

If i want the little guys to live, i think that it's perty vital to have this type of algae. I thought about just using the paste stuff i can put in the water, but i'm not sure how well that will work out.

Sorry guys, currently this project has taken president over this one, but as soon as i get these done, then i will start on the clam breeding.

LED Build
Plywood Build

i have to build two more LED units and finish the tank, then i'll be on track again with this one.

Sorry, I work at WPAFB in Dayton ohio, so its a contrat job, they kept giving us 3-6mo extentions so i wanst sure if i was going to have a job or not. But the company i did work for lost the contract, a new company bought it and I'm waiting for the transition to happen by the end of the month by which then i will buy a big clam to try this out.

I have been trying to find a clam larger than 6" but they seem to be a little scarce around here, so i might have to get one of them that are around 4" and let it grow for a while.

I also have been debating on propogating phyto since i was having such issues with Iso G or just buying some in a jar..... I think i'll do it that way, lot less time consuming.

be patient, i got a lot of other aquatic projects going on as well. I'll be getting some Berghia Nudibranches to see how well they do at exterminating aiptasia. I was also experimenting with other color LEDs (a project Cutter Electronics sponsored for me), plus i have a family and go to school.

To try and get this pushed along, i think i may have found someone with some larg clams (not selling them) that live close to me. Not sure yet what they have but if they are ok with it i can use their clam to get the eggs from and use my med size clam to get the sperm. Then i have an even smaller one, that doesnt seem to want to grow even though the MED clam is growing like mad. (My levels are perfect so no need to discuss this), So i'll be using that one if the whole grinding up of corals doesnt work (I'm going to find some more info on that first) to get the zoo onto the baby clams.

But yeah, going to try to get this moving forward.

Dont think that i have forgotten about this or am not going to do this. I been waiting for some local LFS's to get some clams in but they have failed to do so. I'm looking for a Derasa about 10" wide locally so i can check to see how healthy it is. They are around 300 bucks. So far every one that i have found is less than that big and i dont want to order online and end up with an unhealthy clam.... Theres another place locally that im going to put in a special order with and see if he can get what I'm looking for. I think i have everything else that i need. I may wait till January so it ends up being a bit warmer here up north for when i get it.

I have tried other various local forums and no luck there either...

Dont listen to moliken. I havent had a chance to try yet. I got a new job recently which has me working all kind of hours, i tore down my tank because i didnt have time to take care of it.

You prob wont be able to do it in a 55gal tank, but there are other methods to coax it into happening and methods i have read and documented online to help increase their survival.

Just because there isnt any known home hobbyist doing it, doesnt mean it cant be done. There are many commercial establishments doing it, and they are doing it on a big scale. And by saying, "It cant be done" doesnt provide any insight as to why other than they dont think it can be, which is an opinion, not fact.

They used to say we couldnt go to the moon and that the world was flat.

Its going to take several tanks, and some neglecting of the clams to get them to breed and you have to have time to watch the new borns and keep great water conditions. Then getting them to take on the zooplankton i havent had a chance to test out ideas but there are methods posted on how to do that as well, but a bit inhumane.

Hopefully, when i can get some time away from my current job and starting my own business, i'll be able to give it a shot.

I've got a plan drawn up of the equipment i think I'll need, but finding the time to babysit is the issue.

Back