Breeding pair?

ahg

I've got 2 scooter blennies (male and female), 5 green chromis (sex unknown), 2 cleaner shrimp, a coral beauty and dart fish in a 80 gal FOWLR. I was doing routine maintenance today and noticed about a dozen small animals scooting around on the bottom of the overflow. They're transparent, about 3/4 cm in length with bulbous head and thin tail. They move like the blennies so I'm guessing my blennies bred.

My question: how can I ever get them out of there? Obviously, my setup isn't big enough to support any more livestock but I hate to just leave them in there until they die. There isn't enough room for my arm and I can't figure out how to get a net down there.

Unless you have a setup (or know someone who does) for feeding and raising the fry, you may as well just leave them be, otherwise you're going to kill/starve them by removing them.
If they are fish fry and not some type of pod or shrimp, you really don't have to worry about them impacting your bioload until they get much bigger... although chances are most will get eaten long before then.
If any of them do get big enough to start eating prepared foods/pellets/flake you can trap them and safely remove them to a different tank at that time.

Can you post a picture or find an image online that looks like what you've got? It's likely some type of 'pod or other critter - fish breeding events are extremely rare in marine aquariums, outside of certain well-known species (clowns, cardinals, etc.)

It will be very difficult to take a picture since the overflow is under and at the back of the tank. Also, it is the movement that makes me think blenny. They really scoot across the glass just like the adults do. (Profile is similar, too) If they get a bit bigger, I might be able to take a picture, though. If I succeed I'll post it as a new thread.

Back