Bristle worms

Ivydoodles

My son tells me I have bristle worms. I saw some day one of setting up the tank but have not since. My son saw them in the middle of the night. I bought an arrow crab from the LFS. He says if I feed the crab fish food with the other fish he wont eat the worms? True?
I am having a hard time making sure the crab isn't getting any fish food. He is determined. Poor thing.

If you feed your fish, the crab will get some. The crab will still hunt and do crab things when not eating fish food.

And, as Sk8r said, bristle worms are not a problem, just part of the natural clean-up crew.

Kevin

I'd be more concerned about the crab. They get big and aggressive, can and will catch sleeping fish and eat them.

My son says they are the fire ones which are bad? He is new to the hobby so we are learning.

Yes, fireworms are bad (eat corals) and eunicid worms (commonly referred to as bobbit worms) are bad (eat snails, corals, clams, and once they get big enough, can eat fish). Good thing is, both fireworms and eunicid worms are fairly easy to identify, as are your standard variety bristle worms. Search for some pictures and descriptions, and you'll be able to tell the difference. I doubt you have fireworms.

Kevin

Yes, fireworms are bad (eat corals) and eunicid worms (commonly referred to as bobbit worms) are bad (eat snails, corals, clams, and once they get big enough, can eat fish). Good thing is, both fireworms and eunicid worms are fairly easy to identify, as are your standard variety bristle worms. Search for some pictures and descriptions, and you'll be able to tell the difference. I doubt you have fireworms.

Kevin

The ones I saw were very very tiny and looked orange. I saw them in rock and the sand on the first day and haven't seen them since. I hope they are harmless. I don't like this arrow crab he is creepy.

Bristleworms. Look up hermodice carunculata on google. That's a fireworm. They're gorgeous. Bad news. But exremely rare. What you describe is just good old bristleworms. Tell your son they're a very good clean-up crew and cost a dollar apiece to buy online.

Back